Agenda Item No 8
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee : 11 April 2014
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Declaration of Interests
Purpose of the Report
1. To update the Committee regarding correspondence dispatched to Clerks to Town and Community Councils
THAT Standards Committee note the correspondence sent by the Head of Legal Services dated 20 January 2014, to all Clerks of the Vale of Glamorgan Town and Community Councils regarding declaration of interests.
Reason for the Recommendation
To ensure compliance with the Members' Code of Conduct by Town and Community Councillors and to update Committee.
2. It was brought to the attention of the 5 December 2013 Standards Committee meeting, that on occasions members of some Town and Community Councils were leaving meetings, and there was some confusion over whether a member in such circumstances had a personal and prejudicial interest and if so the nature of the interest.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Attached at Appendix A is a copy of the letter dispatched in light of the concerns expressed.
4. No response has been received to the attached letter.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. Minimal postage charges funded by Legal Services.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. All members of Town and Community Councils are required to comply with their respective Members' Code of Conduct.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. None directly associated with this report.
10. To promote and maintain high standards of conduct by members.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a matter for Standards Committee.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. The Chairman of the Standards Committee was consulted prior to dispatch of the letters.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Letter from the Head of Legal Services dated 20 January 2014 to all Clerks of the Vale of Glamorgan Town and Community Council.
Debbie Marles - Head of Legal Services
Debbie Marles - Head of Legal Services (and Monitoring Officer)