Agenda Item No 8
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee: 5th November 2014
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Code of Conduct Training for Town and Community Councillors
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Members of the Committee of training that has been provided / offered to all Members of the Town and Community Councils within the Vale of Glamorgan.
That the contents of the report be noted.
Reason for the Recommendation
To inform Members of the Standards Committee.
2. The Terms of Reference of the Standards Committee include:
"(5) To advise, train or arrange to train Councillors, Co-opted Members and Church and Parent Governors representatives on matters relating to the Members' Code of Conduct."
Relevant Issues and Options
3. A Charter exists between the Vale of Glamorgan Council and Town and Community Councils, part of which requires Town and Community Council Clerks and Councillors elected / appointed post November 2012 to receive a presentation on the role of the Monitoring Officer and Members' Code of Conduct.
4. To this end, a training session was held on 1st October, 2014.
5. The training session was introduced by Ms. Debbie Marles, Monitoring Officer, and was addressed by Mr. Hallett, Chairman of the Standards Committee, who provided an overview of the Standards Committee.
6. The training was delivered by the organisation "One Voice Wales, the Voice of Community and Town Councils in Wales", and the cost met by the Vale of Glamorgan Council.
7. There were 15 attendees (of which 3 were Clerks, 1 was a Deputy Clerk, 2 were Vale of Glamorgan Members attending in their role as Town / Community Councillors and 9 were Town or Community Councillors).
8. Following the session, all attendees were invited to complete a Feedback Questionnaire, comprising 6 questions and give a score of between 1 and 6 (Score 1 low, 6 high).
9. Overall, the satisfaction rate for all questions amounted to 5.62.
10. I am in the process of arranging another date for Code of Conduct training and the potential dates are 19th November and 4th December 2014. I have e-mailed all Town and Community Councils and raised it at the Community Liaison Committee meeting held on 21st October 2014 to encourage attendance. I am hoping to be able to confirm a date for this training sometime next week.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
11. The cost to the Vale of Glamorgan Council is £350 per session.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
12. None as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. There are no legal implications as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. There are no crime and disorder implications as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. None as a direct result of this report.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. This report does not affect the Council's Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. The report does not involve any consultation with other parties.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Mr. C. Hope, (tel: 01446 709855), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. D. Marles, Monitoring Officer