Agenda Item No 7
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee: 5th November, 2014
Report of the Monitoring Officer
New Welsh Model Constitution - Use of Social Media
Purpose of the Report
1. To update Members following its earlier decision regarding the New Welsh Model Constitution.
That Standards Committee note the report.
Reason for the Recommendation
For the information of Members of the Standards Committee.
2. Standards Committee on 5th December 2013 requested that a report be brought before a future meeting of the Committee informing that reference to the use of social media had been added to the Protocol re Standards of Conduct expected by Members.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Standards Committee, on 5th December 2013, received a report on the draft "Protocol - Standards of Conduct Expected by Members", a copy of which was attached at Appendix A to the report.
4. In approving the document for inclusion within the Council's Constitution, it was the wish of the Standards Committee that the Monitoring Officer incorporate reference to the use of social media within Appendix A, and report back to the Standards Committee.
5. A copy of the Protocol re Standards of Conduct Expected by members, incorporating reference to the use of social media is attached (relevant paragraph is second from the top of the first page).
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. None directly associated with this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. Members are required to comply with their respective Members' Code of Conduct ("the Code") and observe the standards of conduct expected from Members of the Vale of Glamorgan Council in dealing with each other.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. None directly associated with this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. None directly associated with this report.
11. To promote and maintain high standards of conduct by Councillors which is fundamental as part of the Community Leadership role of the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This report falls within the Policy Framework and Budget for the Council, and is a matter for decision by the Standards Committee.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Debbie Marles - Head of Legal Services, Tel: (01446) 709401
Debbie Marles, Head of Legal Services (and Monitoring Officer)