Agenda Item No. 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee: 16th December 2014
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Code of Conduct Training for Town and Community Councillors
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Members of the Committee of training that has been provided / offered to all Members of the Town and Community Councils within the Vale of Glamorgan.
That the contents of the report be noted.
Reason for the Recommendation
To inform Members of the Standards Committee.
2. The Terms of Reference of the Standards Committee include:
"(5) To advise, train or arrange to train Councillors, Co-opted Members and Church and Parent Governors representatives on matters relating to the Members' Code of Conduct."
Relevant Issues and Options
3. A Charter exists between the Vale of Glamorgan Council and Town and Community Councils, part of which requires Town and Community Council Clerks and Councillors elected / appointed post November 2012 to receive a presentation on the role of the Monitoring Officer and Members' Code of Conduct.
4. To this end, a training session was held on 4th December, 2014.
5. The training session was addressed by Ms. Debbie Marles, Monitoring Officer, and Mr. Hallett, Chairman of the Standards Committee, who provided an overview of the Standards Committee.
6. The training was delivered by the organisation "One Voice Wales, the Voice of Community and Town Councils in Wales", and the cost met by the Vale of Glamorgan Council.
7. There were 15 attendees (of which 1 was a Finance Officer and 1 was a Vale of Glamorgan Member attending in their role as Town / Community Councillor and 13 were Town or Community Councillors).
8. Following the session, all attendees were invited to complete a Feedback Questionnaire, comprising 6 questions and give a score of between 1 and 6 (Score 1 low, 6 high).
9. Overall, the satisfaction rate for all questions amounted to 5.7.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
10. The cost to the Vale of Glamorgan Council was £350.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
11. None as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
12. There are no legal implications as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
13. There are no crime and disorder implications as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
14. None as a direct result of this report.
Policy Framework and Budget
16. This report does not affect the Council's Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
17. The report does not involve any consultation with other parties.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Mr. C. Hope, (tel: 01446 709855), e-mail: email@example.com
Ms. D. Marles, Monitoring Officer