Agenda Item No 7
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee: 26th February, 2015
Report of the Monitoring Officer
White Paper - Reforming Local Government: Power to Local People
Purpose of the Report
1. To consider the contents of the consultation document published by the Welsh Government, entitled 'Reforming Local Government: Power to Local People.'
2. Standards Committee is invited to consider that part of the consultation document that relates to the Standards Committee.
That any views of the Standards Committee be forwarded to the Welsh Government.
Reason for the Recommendation
To inform the Welsh Government of the views of the Standards Committee.
3. The White Paper Reforming Local Government: Power to Local People is the Welsh Government's statement of intent about the future of Local Government in Wales. The White Paper sets out the changes the Welsh Government wants to make to the law so people can give their opinion before it happens.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The White Paper sets out the Welsh Government's proposals for reform in the following fields:
The Roles and Remuneration of Elected Members and Senior Officers
Community Governance and Community Councils
Scrutiny, Audit, Inspection and Regulation
5. Whilst the full White Paper is available for inspection on the Welsh Government's website, a summary document had been published and a copy of the relevant section 'Renewing Democracy' is attached at Appendix 1, with reference to the Standards Committee to be found on pages 30 and 31.
6. The part of the Consultation Survey that relates to the Standards Committee is attached at Appendix 2.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
9. As set out in the body of the report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
12. To ensure a Standards Committee is constituted in accordance with Welsh Assembly Government Regulations.
Policy Framework and Budget
13. Not applicable.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Mr. C. Hope (01446) 709855
Ms. D. Marles