Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee: 6th July 2015
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Standards Conference Wales 2015
Purpose of the Report
1. To update Members of the Committee of the forthcoming Standards Conference Wales 2015.
That the current position with regard to the Conference be noted.
Reason for the Recommendation
To enable the Council to be represented at the Conference.
2. The Council has been advised that the Standards Conference Wales 2015 will be held in Cardiff on 20th October 2015.
3. The theme of the Conference is "Promoting Standards in a Changing World".
Relevant Issues and Options
4. Full details of the Conference have not yet been finalised but it is known that the theme of the Conference will, amongst other things, relate to the 20th Anniversary of the introduction of the Nolan Principles of Conduct in Public Life which falls in 2015.
5. The Conference will provide an opportunity to hear directly from senior officials involved in the adjudication of the Code of Conduct, to question them on matters of concern and to enable delegates to debate current issues on the Code of Conduct.
6. Mr. Nick Bennett, Public Services Ombudsman for Wales, will be in attendance.
7. Standards Committee on 16th December 2014 determined that the Chairman of the Standards Committee be authorised to determine the Vale of Glamorgan Council's representation, if any, when the final details are known.
8. A draft Conference Programme is attached.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
9. The anticipated cost is £50 per delegate, with four delegates permitted from each Unitary Authority.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
10. None as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. There are no legal implications as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. There are no crime and disorder implications as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. None as a direct result of this report.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. This report does not affect the Council's Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. The report does not involve any consultation with other parties.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Mr. C. Hope, tel: (01446) 709855, e.mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. D. Marles, Monitoring Officer