Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Voluntary Sector Joint Liaison Committee: 8 February 2012
Report of Director of Finance, ICT and Property
Allocation of funding under the Voluntary Action Scheme 2012/13
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the views of Committee regarding the awarding of grants under the Council's Voluntary Action Scheme 2012/13.
That Committee consider the applications for grant assistance under this scheme and recommend accordingly to Cabinet.
Reason for the Recommendation
To progress the award of grants in accordance with the approved scheme.
2. The arrangements and priorities for funding in respect of the scheme was considered by this Committee at its meeting on 13 April 2011 and confirmed by Cabinet, Min C1300 refers.
3. The availability of this funding was advertised in local newspapers with applications invited for return by end of September 2011.
4. Applications as received were circulated to Partnership Coordinators and other relevant Council officers for their views / recommendations as regards funding.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. Appendix "A" summarises the applications received and Partnership Co-ordinators' views and recommendations in respect of each.
6. Appendix "B" sets out the Application Evaluation forms completed by the Partnership Co-ordinators providing more detailed comments in respect of each application.
7. Appendix "C" sets out the "Application Guidelines" document supplied to all applicants which provides for eligibility requirements, priorities for funding, and other administrative issues.
8. Appendix "D" to this report comprises of copies of the application forms as submitted.
9. Appendix "E" provides details of grants already committed in respect of 2012/13 and 2013/14, £141k and £45k respectively.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change as appropriate)
10. The sum available for allocation, subject to the necessary funding being approved by Council, is £62,000. (Based on the current year's budget provision of £203,000 less £141,000 forward commitments). Financial provision, if approved, will be held within the general policy revenue budget, (£203,000 2010/11).
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. There are no direct legal implications arising from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. The funding of the voluntary sector should assist in increasing social inclusion and reducing crime.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. The core eligibility criteria, provided to all applicants, provides that all organisations seeking funding must actively promote equal opportunities in their operations and service delivery.
14. The priorities for funding under the scheme are in accord with the Council's corporate priorities and have been approved by Cabinet.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. The proposals within this report are matters for Executive decision by Cabinet.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. Since the proposals are within the Policy Framework and Budget, no further consultation beyond that indicated in the report has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
17. Corporate Resources
Grant application forms.
Mr AD Williams, Accountant, Finance, ICT & Property
Tel: 01446 709250
Partnership Co-ordinators (Children and Young People, Community Safety);
Head of Business Management and Innovation (Social Services Dept),
Director of Finance, ICT & Property