Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Voluntary Sector Joint Liaison Committee 17 October 2012
Report of the Managing Director
Improvement Plan 2012/13
Purpose of the Report
1. To present the Improvement Plan 2012/13, which contains performance and improvement information for all directorates and Corporate Plan priorities.
1. That the Committee endorses the Improvement Plan for 2012/13.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. To ensure that actions are taken to improve services.
2. The Council published its previous Improvement Plan, as required by the Local Government Act 1999, on 31st October 2011. The Voluntary Sector Joint Liaison Committee considered the Plan at its meeting on 5 October 2011. The Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 requires the production of an annual Improvement Plan and continuous improvement of performance.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Plan attached at appendix A incorporates information published in the Council's Corporate Plan and departmental service plans. It also incorporates performance information (data and text) providing a look back over 2010/11.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
4. The production of the Improvement Plan is a major annual project that involves a considerable amount of time from officers. The cost of producing the Plan and publishing a bilingual summary in October is met through existing budgets. The Plan and summary are published online, and a small number of summary documents are available for members of the public in local libraries. No hard copies of the Plan itself are produced, unless requested by a member of the public.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
5. Sustainability issues have been taken into account as part of the corporate and service planning processes.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. The Improvement Plan is a statutory duty under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009.
Crime and Disorder Implications
7. The Plan includes improvement actions and targets with respect to the community safety and youth offending functions.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
8. The Plan provides a statement of the Council’s equality objectives. The summary document provides members of the public with an opportunity to become aware of the Council’s performance and will be produced bilingually.
9. The Plan provides information on the improvement objectives outlined in the Corporate Plan.
Policy Framework and Budget
10. The Improvement Plan forms a part of the Policy Framework and is required to be endorsed by Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
11. The majority of the information contained within the Plan is based on the Corporate Plan and on departmental service plans which were discussed by Scrutiny Committees.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Reforming the Wales Programme for Improvement - Guidance to Local Authorities 2010
Corporate Plan 2010/2014
Vale of Glamorgan Community Strategy 2010 - 2020
Beverly Noon 01446 709746
All relevant officers have been consulted on the contents of this report:
All Directors and Heads of Service
Sian Davies, Managing Director