Agenda Item No. 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Voluntary Sector Joint Liaison Committee: 27 February 2013
Report of the Director of Resources
Allocation of Funding under the Voluntary Action Scheme 2013/14
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the views of Committee regarding the awarding of grants under the Council's Voluntary Action Scheme 2013/14.
That Committee consider the applications for grant assistance under this scheme and recommend accordingly to Cabinet.
Reasons for the Recommendations
To progress the award of grants in accordance with the approved scheme.
2. The "Arrangements and Priorities for Funding" in respect of the scheme was considered by this committee at its meeting on 9 July 2012 and confirmed by Cabinet, Min C1789 refers.
3. The availability of this funding was advertised in local newspapers with applications invited for return by end of October 2012.
4. Applications as received were circulated to Partnership Coordinators and other relevant Council officers for their views / recommendations as regards funding.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. Appendix "A" summarises the applications received and Partnership Coordinators views and recommendations in respect of each.
6. Appendix "B" sets out the Application Evaluation forms completed by the Partnership Coordinators providing more detailed comments in respect of each application.
7. Appendix "C" sets out the "Application Guidelines" document supplied to all applicants which provides for eligibility requirements, priorities for funding, and other administrative issues.
8. Appendix "D" provides details of grants already committed in respect of 2013/14 and 2014/15, £82k and £37k respectively.
9. Members wishing to view the application forms as submitted by applicants are invited to contact the report author prior to the meeting.
10. Due to limited resources successful applicants have been allocated funding less than that requested. As a consequence projects may need to be scaled down depending on whether applicants are able to finance the shortfall from other sources. In such circumstances suitable output indicators will be agreed with the Chairman of the Committee prior to projects being allowed to proceed and reported back to the Committee for information (Minute Nos. 190 13.07.11 and C1410 7.09.11 refer).
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
11. The sum available for allocation 2013/14, subject to the necessary funding being approved by Council, is £121,000. (Based on the current year's budget provision of £203,000 less £82,000 forward commitments). Financial provision, if approved, will be held within the general policy revenue budget, (£203,000 2012/13).
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
12. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising out of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. There are no direct legal implications arising from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. The funding of the voluntary sector should assist in increasing social inclusion and reducing crime.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. The core eligibility criteria, provided to all applicants, provides that all organisations seeking funding must actively promote equal opportunities in their operations and service delivery.
16. The priorities for funding under the scheme are in accord with the Council's corporate priorities and have been approved by Cabinet.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. The proposals within this report are matters for executive decision by Cabinet.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. Since the proposals are within the Policy Framework and Budget, no further consultation beyond that indicated in the report has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
19. Corporate Resources
Grant application forms.
Mr AD Williams, Accountant, Finance, ICT & Property
Tel: 01446 709250
Partnership Co-ordinators (Children & Young People, Community Safety); Head of Business Management & Innovation (Social Services), Head of Children & Young Peoples Services (Social Services).
Director of Resources