Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Welsh Church Act Estate Committee 8th April 2013
Report of the Director of Resources
Land opposite St Peter's Church, Old Cogan Hall
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek approval to lease an area of land to the Parish of All Saints Penarth for the purposes of car parking.
1. That if deemed appropriate, the Director of Resources in consultation with the Head of Legal Services be authorised to agree terms for a lease of the land opposite St Peters Church to the Church for the purposes of car parking.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To assist St Peters Church with parking issues that they have been experiencing, especially during busy Church Services.
2. Officers were recently approached by the Wardens of St Peters Church in respect of their request to be granted a lease of the land shown on the plan attached at Appendix A of this report. The land owned by The Welsh Church Act Estate is shown coloured green on the plan at Appendix B.
3. The Wardens have confirmed that Church goers are regularly experiencing difficulty with parking especially during busy services such as Weddings, Funerals and well attended general Services. The lane that vehicles have to use in order to reach the Church is narrow and only allows for a small number of vehicles to park safely. Vehicles equally have to use the same narrow lane for turning their vehicles around to drive away from the Church. The Plan attached at Appendix C shows the lane and how the Church is accessed along the cross hatched area.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The land owned by this Committee has traditionally been let for grazing/cutting. An indication of the rental that this land attracted last year will be provided at Committee.
5. It is suggested by the Church that an area of land could be let to them for the purposes of providing a car park for Church goers with an area of land still being made available for grazing in addition, if Committee were minded to grant approval. A suitable rental income could be adopted for the car parking area, should Committee be minded to grant a lease of the land to the Church.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. Should Committee be minded to grant a lease of part of the land for the purpose of Church Parking, an annual rental income would be negotiated to reflect the lands useage. In addition, an income could be achieved by advertising the remaining land for grazing/cutting.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are no sustainability and climate change implications as a result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. The Committee have a duty to manage lands held by them in accordance with the Scheme of the Trust and with Charity Law.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. Whilst land is occupied, it will attract less crime and disorder issues such as unlawful occupation and fly tipping, albeit officers are unaware of any crime and disorder implications relating to this land.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. The sole concern of the Committees is to act in the best interests of the Trust.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. Not applicable.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. Since the members of this Committee are acting as Committee Members, independent of the other Council resolutions, no further consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Mike Walsh, Property & Contract Team Leader, Legal Services
Sian Davies, Director of Resources