Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Welsh Church Act Estates Committee 18th August 2014
Report of the Director of Resources
Former Southerndown Home
Purpose of the Report
1. To update Committee further to the resolution of 21st July 2014.
That Committee notes the progress to date with submission of the notice of demolition and notes and endorses the recommendation not to submit an outline application for residential development at this stage.
Reason for the Recommendation
To update Committee as to the work done to date and to clarify the actions required.
2. Committee will recall that at the last meeting in July, it was resolved that officers seek consent for the demolition of the property and at the same time seek an outline consent for residential development.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Further consultation has taken place with the Local Planning Authority since this resolution and officers are advised to submit to the Planning Authority notice of its intention to demolish the property. Following the subsequent advice from the Planning Officers, it is now not intended to submit an outline application for residential purposes at this stage.
4. The notice of intention to demolish the property has been worked up by the Councils Property Section on behalf of the Trust and submitted to the Local Planning Authority. Notices have been posted on site (in accordance with Planning requirements) of the Trusts intention to demolish the property also.
5. In addition, the Chair of this Committee has visited the local community and has called on a number of neighbouring property owners to advise them of the Trusts intentions.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. As outlined in the report of the 21st July, 2014.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. None directly related to this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. The Committee have a duty to manage lands and property held by them in accordance with the scheme of Trust and with Charity Law.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. As outlined in the report of the 21st July, 2014.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no equal opportunities implications as a direct result of this report.
11. The sole concern of the Committee is to act in the best interests of the Trust.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. Not applicable.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. Since members of this Committee are acting as Committee Members, independent of other Council resolutions, no further consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Not applicable.
Lorna Cross, Group Estates Officer.
Mike Walsh, Legal Services - Committee Reports
Sian Davies, Director of Resources.