Agenda Item No. 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Welsh Church Act Estate Committee: 29th September 2014
Report of the Director of Resources
Former Southerndown Home
Purpose of the Report
1. To provide Committee with an update further to the last report of the 18th August 2014.
1. That Committee notes the progress made in relation to the demolition notice submitted and;
2. That Committee notes the progress made in instructing the Councils Property Team to seek quotations for the demolition of the property.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1&2. To keep the Committee apprised of progress.
2. Committee will recall the report of 18th August 2014, where Committee were advised of the submission of the notice of demolition to the Local Planning Authority.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Since the last meeting in August, officers are advised by the Councils Property Team that the deadline has now lapsed for any objections to the notice of demolition. We are further advised that no objections were received to the notice.
4. The next step for Committee is to determine whether or not to proceed with demolition of the property itself or to market the property for sale with the comfort of the demolition consent in place. However, whilst the Councils Property Team have been instructed to seek quotations for the demolition, the tender specification is not yet completed and hence it will be some further weeks until officers will be in a position to report to Committee in respect of the quotations received. Committee will therefore not be in a position to make a decision on whether they wish to demolish the property themselves or not at this time.
5. Officers are advised by the Property section that it is likely that Tenders will be received no sooner than November 2014.
6. Once the tenders have been received, a further report will be presented to this Committee outlining the tenders received and the options available to the Trust for the way forward.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
7. None as a direct result of this report. There may be resource implications for the trust as a result of future decisions relating to the demolition of the property.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
8. None directly related to this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
9. The Committee have a duty to manage lands and property held by them in accordance with the scheme of Trust and with Charity Law.
Crime and Disorder Implications
10. As the property remains vacant, there is a possibility that it may attract anti-social activities and unlawful entry.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. There are no equal opportunities implications as a direct result of this report.
12. The sole concern of the Committee is to act in the best interests of the Trust.
Policy Framework and Budget
13. Not applicable.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
14. Since members of this Committee are acting as Committee Members, independent of other Council resolutions, no further consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
15. Not applicable.
Lorna Cross, Group Estates Officer.
Mike Walsh, Legal Services - Committee Reports.
Director of Resources.