Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Welsh Church Act Estate Committee: 25th March, 2015
Report of the Director of Resources
Former Southerndown Home
Purpose of the Report
1. To update Committee of progress with the marketing of the former Southerndown Care Home.
That Committee note the progress made and the tender deadline for bids.
Reason for the Recommendation
To update Committee on progress made.
2. The back ground to this matter was set out in full in the last report considered by Committee on 15th December 2014.
3. Since that time officers have instructed the Councils Property Section to obtain Site Surveys and these have now been received. A revised Planning Statement accounting for the demolition consent has been received also. Agents have prepared the sales particulars and tender documents have been provided to the agents.
4. A pack of information has been provided to the agent for distribution to interested parties.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. Marketing was formally launched on the 20th March 2015 with a tender deadline of 12 Noon Friday 1st May 2015. Block viewings will be arranged by the agent over the coming weeks to accommodate groups of interested parties wishing to inspect the property. A further report will be presented to Committee with the results of the Marketing exercise following receipt of the bids.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. Agents fees will be payable for Marketing this property.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. There are no Legal Implications as a direct result of this update report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. Since the last report to this Committee there has been further unlawful access to the property which resulted in the Police attending site. It appears that access was gained via a ladder to the first floor level and onto the roof area where it appears that the trespassers were looking for lead. It is assumed that any lead that the intruders were able to access has been taken from the building albeit no inspection has taken place due to health and safety concerns.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. The sole concern of the Committee is to act in the best interests of the Trust.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. Not applicable.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. The Members of the Committee are acting as Committee Members independent of the Council’s resolutions and no further consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Lorna Cross, Group Estates Officer.
Mike Walsh, Principal Lawyer.
Director of Resources