Town Hall, Barry
The History of the Town Hall
Directions to the Town Hall (PDF)
1879 – Town Hall site still woodland.
1900 – Maes y Cwm Quarry excavated on the site of Central Park.
1903 – The Council acquired the site of the quarry, which was later filled in enabling the building of Central Park and the Library.
1903 - A competition was held for the design of a new block of offices for the Barry Urban District Council and in the same year the Council appealed to the Andrew Carnegie Trust for a grant to enable a public library for the Town to be built.
1906 –The Library was completed and officially opened on 1 March by The Earl of Plymouth.
1908 – Town Hall completed at a cost of £7,488, and officially opened on 22 April. The provision of the clock was not part of the same contract and was supplied at a cost of £329.10s.
1910 – Town Hall Square was named “King Square”.
1939 – A Charter of Incorporation was granted and Barry Borough Council was created with its administrative centre at the Town Hall. This Charter authorised the Council to appoint a Mayor of Barry for the first time.
1974 – Local Government Re-organisation led to the formation of the Vale of Glamorgan Borough Council with its administrative centre at the Town Hall.
1981 – The Council Chamber at the Town Hall was used for the last time as the Mayor and Council moved to the new Civic Office in Holton Road.
2001 – Barry Library re-located to its temporary home at Barry Leisure Centre.
2005 – Work commenced on the redevelopment of the Town Hall, King Square and Central Park.
2006 – The Mayor of the Vale of Glamorgan Council moved into the refurbished Town Hall, using the former Council Chamber as the Mayor’s Parlour.
2007 – The new County Library and Town Hall officially opened by the Mayor, Councillor Nic Hodges, on 4 January.