Empty and exempt properties
Some empty properties are exempt (see below). Unfurnished empty properties receive a 50% discount after six months exemption.
Furnished Empty properties
Some empty properties are exempt (see below). Furnished empty properties receive a 50% discount with no exemption period.
This Council has chosen to grant a 50% discount for the current financial year on all properties that fall within the defined class.
Your bill will indicate if the Council believes that your property is in the defined class. You should contact the Council if you think that its decision is wrong.
Council Tax Survey and Discount Form PDF
Some dwellings are exempt, including properties occupied only by students, severally mentally impaired persons, under 18s and annexes occupied by a dependent relative. Also exempt are vacant properties, which are classed as those that:
- unfurnished (exempt for up to six months)
- owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
- undergoing structural alteration or require major repair (exempt for up to 12 months providing the property is unfurnished)
- left empty by someone who has gone into prison, or who has moved to receive personal care in hospital or home or elsewhere
- left empty by someone who has moved in order to provide personal care to another person
- left empty by students
- waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (and for up to six months after) providing there is no other qualifying person
- being or have been repossessed
- the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee
- empty because their occupation is forbidden by law
- waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion
Council Tax Exemptions
Forces barracks and married quarters are also exempt; their occupants will contribute to the cost of local services through a special arrangement. If you think your property may be exempt you should contact the Vale of Glamorgan Council who issued the bill