How to claim Housing/Council Tax Benefit
You must complete an application form in order to be
considered for the above benefits. These forms can be different
depending on your circumstances. Please contact us at the address
or telephone number below to make a claim.
If you make a claim for Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance
(income based) then you can make your initial claim for
Housing/Council Tax Benefit at Jobcentre plus. If you wish to claim
benefit then do not delay as your claim generally starts from the
first Monday after we receive your claim form. Do not delay
returning the form if you do not have all of the extra information
that we require. You can send in documents at a later date.
Before you claim, please check the following:
- Do you and/or your Partner have more than £16,000.00 in
savings/capital? If so then you will not be entitled to any
Housing/Council Tax Benefit (unless you are in receipt of
- Do you live with your parents/other close relative? If so then
you will not be entitled to Housing/Council Tax Benefit.
- Do you pay rent on the property that you live in? If not then
you cannot claim Housing Benefit.
- Are you responsible for the Council Tax at your property (is
the Bill in yours or your partners' name)? If not, then you will
not be able to claim Council Tax Benefit.
What to include with your application form
- Identification for you and any partner (wage slips, benefit
books, passport, drivers license etc.).
- Proof of yours and any partner's National Insurance Number
(Benefit award letter, pension book, benefit book, wage slip
- Proof of yours and any partner's income and savings;
- Proof of any rent that you pay (Tenancy agreement, Rent Book,
letter from your Landlord, Landlord statement form);
- Proof of any Child Benefit that you receive;
- Proof of the income of any other people in your home over 18
years old and not on your Child Benefit book.