Castleland Homebuy, Barry

RSL Partner: Newydd Housing Association


The Assisted Homeownership Scheme assisted first time buyers to purchase their first home and step on the property ladder.



The Homebuy scheme operated on a ‘shared equity’ basis which means the purchaser owns 70% of the property with the remaining 30% owned by Newydd Housing Association until such time as the property is sold or the purchaser is able to buy the remaining 30%.


The Homebuy Scheme in Castleland was advertised in local newspapers, on the council’s website and by local estate agents. Applications were accepted from March to November 2011.


A total of 11 individuals, couples and families were assisted to purchase their own home.


Tenure: The Homebuy scheme assisted first time buyers purchase a property suitable for their needs in the Castleland ward of Barry.