School Admission Arrangements 2021/2022
The Vale Council is consulting on a proposed change to school admission arrangements for community schools for the academic year 2021/2022 in respect of a change to secondary school catchment areas and a minor amendment to the primary school oversubscription criteria.
The proposed changes will ensure a more even distribution of school places to meet future demand for pupils within a defined catchment area requiring a school place. The amendment will prioritise those living closest to a primary school where the number of applications from within catchment area exceeds the number of places available that will support attendance at a child's local school.
More information on the proposal can be found in the following documents:
Current and proposed secondary school catchment area maps:
Responding to the consultation
The consultation period will run from 11 December 2019 to 3 February 2020. You can respond to the consultation in the following ways:
The Vale of Glamorgan Councils Cabinet determined the Councils admission arrangements on the 23 March 2020 for the academic year 2021/22 and approved changes to include a minor change to the oversubscription criteria for community primary schools to ensure that those living in a school catchment area will be a high priority for admission to school and a revision to secondary school catchment area in order to align secondary school catchment areas to better match the capacity at secondary schools. The arrangements will become policy for the academic year 2021/22.
The admission policy and letter are available to download or hard copies are available on request by contacting the Learning and Skills Directorate:
The agreed changes to the secondary school catchment areas are:
Pencoedtre High School
- Transfer the Wenvoe area into St Cyres school catchment area.
Whitmore High School
- Remove the dual catchment status of Rhoose from Whitmore High School.
- Transfer the Rhoose area to Cowbridge Comprehensive School.
Cowbridge Comprehensive School
- Increase the school catchment population by incorporating the area of Rhoose into the school catchment area.
Llantwit Major School
- Remove the dual catchment status of Rhoose from Llantwit Major School.
- Transfer the area of Rhoose into Cowbridge catchment area.
St Cyres School
- Increase the school catchment population by incorporating the Wenvoe, Penarth and Sully areas into the school catchment area.