Cost of Living Support Icon

Adult Protection

We have a responsibility to protect vulnerable people whatever their needs or situation. A vulnerable adult is a person aged over 18 in need of community care.


This could be due to disability, age or illness, inability to take care of themselves or they cannot stop themselves from being harmed, abused or exploited. 

Abuse is usually carried out by someone in a position of trust, such as a relative or a carer, and it can take different forms:

  • Physical - such as slapping or hitting.
  • Psychological - such as intimidation, preventing visitors, threats or being deliberately ignored.
  • Sexual - such as forcing someone into an unwanted sexual activity or touching inappropriately.
  • Neglect - such as not caring for someone properly, not providing adequate food or putting them at risk.
  • Financial - such as stealing someone's money or spending it on the wrong things, putting pressure on someone to make changes to a will or spending their money against their wishes.


Adult Protection Training

Specialist training is available to all Council staff, especially those who regularly come into contact with vulnerable adults as part of their work and also for people who provide care.


Adult Protection Training

Domestic Abuse

1 in 4 women in England and Wales will experience domestic abuse in their lifetime. Domestic abuse can occur regardless of gender, sexuality, class, age, race, religion or lifestyle.


Domestic Abuse

Human Trafficking

A person is trafficked if they are brought to (or moved around) a country by others who threaten, frighten, hurt and force them to do work or other things they don’t want to do.


Human Trafficking



Referrals (AS1) concerning allegations of abuse or neglect of vulnerable adults can be made via Contact OneVale. 



Civic Offices

Holton Road


Vale of Glamorgan

CF63 8YR




Report Suspected Abuse

If you believe you or someone else is in immediate danger, do something straight away - contact 999 and tell the operator what is happening.


If you are being abused or think someone else is, you must tell someone. If you do not feel comfortable talking to social services, tell someone you trust and ask them to pass on the information. You could talk to a friend or relative, a doctor or a nurse, or anyone else in authority. 


If you witness abuse, or just suspect that abuse is taking place, you must act without delay.  You can do so by calling Contact OneVale on 01446 700111.

Out of Office Hours Emergency

  • 029 20 788570


If you feel a criminal act has or may have taken place, you should contact the police immediately by dialling 999.

Adult Protection Forum

The role of the South Wales Safeguarding Adults Strategic Management Board (formerly the South Wales Adult  Protection Forum)


The South Wales Safeguarding Adults Strategic Management Board is made up of local authorities, police, health groups, voluntary and independent sectors and members of the public.


We work together to challenge and combat abuse and promote the rights of vulnerable adults. There are many forms of abuse including:

  • physical
  • psychological or emotional
  • sexual
  • financial
  • inappropriate care
  • neglect and failure to act

Abuse >may be an isolated event or a series of incidents. It may take place in the persons own home, in day or residential centres or in clinics and hospitals.


If you witness abuse or just suspect that abuse is taking place, you must act without delay. If you feel that a criminal act has or may have taken place, you should contact the police immediately.


Dewis Logo