Care Service Costs

Your assessments and all the information and advice we provide you afterwards is completely free.  The cost of any services you receive depends on your specific financial situation and the service provided.

You do not have to pay for any services provided by the NHS. If you need nursing care, NHS nurses can come to your home or care home. If you need to move to a care home that provides nursing care, then the NHS will pay a fixed amount for the nursing part of the home’s fees.


You might also be eligible for Continuing NHS Health Care. In this case, your services  would be fully covered by the NHS and you would  receive it in an NHS building or a care home with nursing.


If you decide to receive it at home, NHS would cover your nursing services, but not general support costs.

Services provided at home

The cost of services delivered in your own home will depend on many things.

Generally, you will have to pay some of the cost of your care if your savings or capital (excluding the value of your house) is above a certain amount. There will be a cap on how much you will be charged weekly.

Your Social Worker or Visiting Officer will tell you the capital limit amount and current maximum charge per week.

Care homes

If the service is a care home with or without nursing, then you will have to pay something towards it, unless you have aftercare under Section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983.


Generally, if your savings or capital (excluding the value of your house) is:

  • above a certain amount, you will have to pay the cost of your care, with a cap on how much you will be charged weekly
  • below that capital limit, and your only income is the state pension (plus guarantee credit if applicable), then you will be left with a personal allowance

Your Social Worker or Visiting Officer will  tell you  the capital limit amount  and  current maximum charge per week

Some people prefer to make their own arrangements.


If we are funding your services, the Direct Payments Scheme allows you to do this and pay your care staff yourself while we oversee that money is properly used.


Details about this would also be included in your care and support plan.

Financial Assessments

Our Financial Assessment Officers, who are also Welfare Benefits Advisors, will invite you to carry out a Financial Assessment of your individual circumstances. They work to provide specialist information and support to identified social services clients. 



Contact OneVale (C1V):

01446 700111, email:


Financial Assessment Officers/Benefits Advisors:

01446 704890 or 704747 or 704706



Public Services Ombudsman for Wales – Case regarding Vale of Glamorgan Council – Financial Assessment for Social Services

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales recently provided a summary  following notification of a complaint regarding financial assessments within the Vale of Glamorgan Council. Please consider the case summary:

Should you be concerned regarding a financial assessment, please contact our Community Care Finance department to discuss:

  • 01446 704678