Equipment and Adaptations

Some people may require equipment and adaptations to help to remain living as safely and independently as possible in their own homes. 


In order to obtain a provision from Social Services, you must have a permanent and substantial impairment that affects your ability to function in the home, at school, or in the community. The Health Service may also make this provision for a short - term need for up to three months.


Equipment is provided by a number of agencies on loan. As a general rule:

  • Social Services are responsible for equipment that relates to activities of daily living, or to encourage social inclusion (for children)
  • Education Department provides equipment that is necessary for the child to attend school or be educated

It is appreciated if items are returned to the issuing organisation when not needed, as they can then be used by other people.


  • Health Services equipment is provided free on loan
  • Social Services do not provide equipment under the value of £15. However, other equipment is provided free on loan.
  • There is a means test for grant applications for major works of adaptations by the Private Sector Housing of the Vale of Glamorgan Council.  Minor works or adaptations are usually provided free of charge via Social Services.

British Red Cross offer equipment free on loan, apart from commodes, for which a small charge is made.


Guide to Assessment

Each of these questions may apply to you, your child or your carer:

  • Do you have difficulty washing or bathing?
  • Do you need special help with the toilet?
  • Do you have concerns about your safety due to your Impairment?
  • Is access into or around your home difficult for you?
  • Do you have difficulty with walking or getting out of bed?
  • Do you feel you are at risk of injuring yourself because of the way you are lifting or being lifted?

If the answer is ‘yes’ to any of the above Assessment may lead to advice and guidance or direct provision.



Assessment may lead to adviceand guidance or direct provision of: Contact Organisations                                          

Suggestions on techniques 

  • Moving, handling & dressing
  • etc.
  • Social Services
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Hospital based therapists on discharge

Grants for adaptations in the home 

  • Widening doors, installing ramps, shower facilities
  • Hand rails, stair lifts
  • etc.
  •   Social Services
  • Canes & walking sticks for those with visual impairment
  • Raised toilet seats/bathing aids.
  • Hoists and slings, special seating for children
  • Bed rails, fireguards, stair safety gates.
  •  Social Services
  • Wheelchairs, buggies, artificial limbs
  • Crutches, walking sticks, walking frames
  • Beds/mattresses, cradles, support cushions, back rests
  • Standing frames, callipers & shoes.
  • Continence products, commodes
  • Transit & self-propelling wheelchairs
  • Commodes for short term loans
  • Small items for dressing and reaching.
  • Health Services
  • Artificial Limb and Appliance Service
  • Physiotherapists & Occupational Therapists
  • Therapists or Community Nurses
  • Community Nurses or G.P.
  • British Red Cross

Difficulty eating or feeding:

  • Feeding pumps (Specialised feeding equipment)
  • Drip Stands
  • Cutlery
  • Supplementary feed, feed & fluid thickener
  • G.P.
  • Dietitian or Community Nurses
  • Hospital or Community Occupational therapist
  • Health visitor or Hospital Dietician

Difficulty communicating due to language, sight or hearing difficulties?

  • Loop system, TV aid, flashing doorbell alarm clock
  • Hearing aids, batteries
  • Perkins Braille Machine
  • Writing frame
  • Specialised books
  • Referral for Communication Assessment

  • Social Services
  • G.P or School
  • Health Visitor

Equipment for a medical condition:

  • Nebulisers, oxygen equipment
  • Enuresis Alarms, tracheotomy equipment
  • Needles, syringes, swabs
  • G.P
  • Hospital Doctor
  • Community Nurses

Special play/recreational needs due to sight impairment:

  • Talking book machine, cassette radio, TV
  • Sound receiver
  • Toys and special equipment
  • Social Services & Voluntary Organisations



Information on other services


The South Wales Mobility and Drivers Assessment Service offers advice about all aspects of driving and vehicle adaptations for disabled people. They offer a driving assessment and training following a Consultant or GP referral, free of charge. A passenger assessment service is offered as well.



The Employment Service, through the scheme ‘Access to Work’ (based in your local Job Centre), can make a grant towards the approved extra costs that arise because of an individual's impairment.


Contact Information: 

Contact OneVale (C1V)

Civic Office, Holton Road, Barry CF63 4RU

  • Text C1V then your message to 60066