Choosing Childcare

Information on childcare in the Vale of Glamorgan including types of childcare and financial help with childcare costs


Vale Family Information Service Childcare Search


Types of Childcare



  • Childminders
    Childminders are self-employed, and work in their own home. They care for children from a few months old upwards, for part or all of the day. 
    Charges for childminding are agreed between the parent and the childminder, and will vary depending on the number of hours your child is cared for. 
  • Day Nurseries
    Day nurseries provide childcare for young children from birth to age 5. They usually open from early morning to early evening, Monday to Friday, all year round. 
    They offer a caring, safe, stimulating environment either as full day care or part-time care for babies and pre-school children. 
    Some may also provide care before and after school and in the holidays for older children too. 
  • Out of School Clubs
    Out of school childcare clubs help parents or carers who work or attend training. 
    They include breakfast clubs, after school clubs, holiday playschemes and wrap around day-care for school aged children. 
  •  Playgroups
    Playgroups cater mainly for children aged 2½ to 5 years, usually for 2 to 3 hours in the morning or afternoon and mainly during term time. 
  • Cylchoedd Meithrin
    Cylchoedd Meithrin are Welsh-medium playgroups which give children an opportunity to become bilingual (in English and Welsh). 
  •  Créche
    Crèches are designed to help - where possible - the problems of finding child care for parents who are in part-time work, full time education, retraining or who simply need time to themselves if they are a lone parent and have no other source of child care to fall back on. 
  •  Nannies, Au Pairs and Approved Home Childcarers

    Approved childcarers are self-employed, and work in their own home. They care for children from a few months old upwards, for part or all of the day. 
    Charges are agreed between the parent and the childcarer, and will vary depending on the number of children. 




Tips for Choosing Childcare




Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) has produced advice and tips on what to look for when choosing childcare


Welsh Government has produced a Choosing Childcare Booklet:


Childcare Choices provides information about Government help with childcare costs:




Financial Help with Childcare Costs




  • Tax-Free Childcare

    Tax-free childcare is a new government scheme to help working parents with the cost of childcare.

    You can use it to pay for approved childcare.

    You can’t use tax-free childcare at the same time as:

    • childcare vouchers
    • Universal Credit
    • tax credits.

    You can get up to £500 every 3 months (£2,000 a year) for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare.

    If you get Tax-Free Childcare, the government will pay £2 for every £8 you pay your childcare provider via an online account.


  • Childcare Voucher Scheme

    Childcare vouchers are a tax-free benefit offered by employers to their employees. The vouchers are deducted from your gross salary so you don’t pay tax or National Insurance on them. You can then use the vouchers to pay for any childcare that is registered.

    The government’s childcare voucher scheme is ending, and will be replaced by the new tax-free childcare scheme mentioned above.

    The scheme was due to close to new members in April 2018, but has been extended until 4 October 2018.

    If you’re already getting childcare vouchers you can keep getting them as long as your employer continues to offer them.



  • The Childcare Offer for Wales


    Welsh Government provide 30 hours a week of early education and childcare for working parents of 3 and 4 year olds in Wales, for 48 weeks of the year. 



    Parents will receive a combined total of 30 hours of early education and childcare during term time. The current free early education provided by the Foundation Phase will form part of this offer.


    For 9 weeks of the year, outside of term time, parents will receive 30 hours per week of childcare.



    To receive updates about the Childcare Offer in the Vale, please email us:














  • Working Tax Credits 

    The childcare element of Working Tax Credit can help cover up to 70% of your childcare costs. 
    You must work for 16 hours a week or more and you must use registered or approved childcare. 



  • Better Off Calculator - Childcare Vouchers and Working Tax Credits

    Use the Government's Better Off Calculator to find out how much you could get towards registered or approved childcare.


  • Assisted Places Scheme 

     Funding is available to support pre-school children with a disability/additional learning need or in need of socialisation: and children aged 4-11yrs with a disability and/or additional learning need, whose parent/carer are on low income (household income of less than £25,000) or are in need of socialisation. 

    The funding allocation is towards supporting the child in a childcare place for a child between the ages of 18 mnths—4yrs at a registered (with Care Inspectorate for Wales) childcare setting for sessional preschool care or 4 –11 years for out of school provision.


    Funding is limited to 12 weeks per child. 


  • Parents, Childcare and Employment (PaCE)

    The PaCE project aims to help improve employment prospects for parents where childcare is their main barrier to accessing training or job opportunities. 

    PaCE will cover the cost of childcare while parents undertake training, work experience or volunteering and gain the skills they need to get a job.


    Who can PaCE help?

    • Parents aged 25 and over not in employment
    • Young parents (16-24) not in Employment, Education or Training (NEET)





  •  Student Finance Wales - Childcare Grant

    Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to receive extra help towards the cost of registered or approved childcare.

    Childcare Grant (CCG) helps with childcare costs if you have dependent children aged under 15 (or under 17 if they have special educational needs) in registered or approved childcare. 



  •  Discretionary Learner Support

    If you’re aged 19 or over, on a further education course funded by the Skills Funding Agency and facing financial hardship, you could get Discretionary Learner Support (DLS) to help with childcare costs.

    You apply to your learning provider (eg your college) for DLS and how much you get depends on your circumstances.






Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW)


Childcare provision that provides childcare for children under 12 years, for more than 2 hours a day outside the child's home, for a reward, must be registered with Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).


The CIW register, inspect and take action to improve the quality and safety of services for the wellbeing of people in Wales.


All registered childcare settings have to meet the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare for children up to the age of 12 years:


Nannies and au pairs don’t need to be registered with the CIW. However, they can become Approved Home Childcarers through CIW. 




Contact Us:

  • 01446 704704