Starting Nursery or School

Information on when your child can start nursery or school and how to apply for your child's place



Starting Nursery

Children can start nursery the term after their third birthday, usually for five mornings or five afternoons per week. You can register your interest by completing an online form from our School Admissions department when your child is approaching 2 years. They will then write to you to let you know when to apply:


Register your interest for a nursery place


Church in Wales Aided and Catholic Schools continue to deal with their own admissions to nursery and therefore you will need to contact the school directly to apply.


Find Schools in the Vale


For more information and a list of nursery schools, visit the Nursery Education Admissions page:


Nursery Admissions


Starting Primary School

Children can start primary school full time in the September following their fourth birthday. 


Each school has a catchment area that it serves. If you are unsure what schools are in your catchment area, enter your postcode:



Parents must express a preference for the school they wish their child to attend. If demand exceeds the number of places available, the catchment children will always take priority. There is an admissions criteria that is followed.


If you would like your child to go to a Voluntary Aided school, you will need to contact the school directly.

Find Schools in the Vale


For more information visit the Primary School Admissions page:

Primary School Admissions


Starting Secondary School

If your child is attending Year 6 of a Vale Primary or Junior School and is due to transfer to a Secondary school in September, you will receive a letter from the relevant admission authority advising you of the process.


For more information visit the Secondary School Admissions page:

Secondary School Admissions



Being Bilingual cover

Thinking about Welsh medium education?

If you are thinking about educating your child through the medium of Welsh and want to know more about the support on offer then our Being Bilingual booklet could help:



Welsh Government has produced a Guide to Welsh Medium Education providing information on beginning your bilingual journey:



Moving to a school in the Vale of Glamorgan?

If you are moving into the Vale of Glamorgan or would just like to apply for a school within the County, you will need to complete a School Transfer Form.


Vale of Glamorgan School Admissions


Need Childcare?

You may need childcare to care for your child before and after school and during the school holidays. There is flexible childcare available.


Your child's school may run a breakfast and after school club and childminders are available to drop off and pick up from schools.


Contact Vale Family Information Service for more information on choosing childcare, including types of childcare and financial help with childcare costs visit our Choosing Childcare page:

Childcare in the Vale of Glamorgan


Vale Family Information Service Childcare Search