Becoming a Childminder

Information for those wishing to start a career in childminding in the Vale of Glamorgan


Child minding is when a person is paid to look after one or more child under the age of 12 on domestic premises, for example their home.


Child minders can offer: Full day care and part time care including before and afterschool provision including atypical hours e.g, evening, weekends and overnight, provision, wrap around care, provision during the school holidays, funded education places , and free childcare places.


S12 3208 Vale FIS RGB Flat

Contact Us:

We can provide you with information on childminders in your area and the number of enquiries we've had for childcare in your area.



To become a childminder you must:


  • Complete a Briefing Session

     Vale of Glamorgan's Early Years Development and Childcare Partnership (EYDCP) offer FREE Childminder Briefing Sessions to anyone interested in becoming a childminder in the Vale of Glamorgan.
    The next briefing session will take place on: Wednesday 10 June 2020, 6.30pm - 8.00pm at the Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry CF63 4RU 
    Contact Vale Family Information Service to book your place 
    01446 704704 
    If you are unable to attend the next free briefing session, you can pay to complete an Online Briefing Session through PACEY.


    PACEY Online Briefing Session

  • Complete a Pre-Registration Course: 

    Complete units 326 Introduction to home-based childcare (IHC) and 327 Preparing for Childminding Practice (PCP).

    These are worth 10 credits towards full Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Care Play Learning and Development.

    Both units can be completed online at a cost of £360, or part online with two full day workshops, at a cost of £390 including VAT.


    To become a registered Childminder you will need to pass both units.


    To be registered under the Voluntary Home Approval Scheme (as a nanny in the child’s own home) you will need to pass the first unit 326 Introduction to home-based childcare (IHC).  You may want to consider this as a career, for more information:


    Voluntary Home Approval Scheme


    Those wishing to register as a childminder offering a service in the medium of Welsh, or in areas lacking in childcare, or have experience of caring for children with additional needs, might be eligible for a £180 contribution towards the second unit of the course or an additional £150 may also be available to contribute towards 1 year's PACEY membership, Public Liability Insurance and PACEY Business Pack (‘Tools of the Trade’). These would be subject to council budget funding at the time funds are requested. 


    You will also need to complete a 12 hour Paediatric First Aid course.

    Please contact Sue O’Neill Childminder Network Facilitator on 01446 706028 for more information.

  • Contact Vale of Glamorgan Planning Department 

    You will need to contact Vale of Glamorgan Planning department to discuss your plans to run a childminding business from your home.

    You will need to comply with their recommendations.

    Contact them on 01446 704700 or email: planning&


    More information can be found:


    Planning and Childcare in Wales

  • Complete and Submit Your Application to Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) 

    Download and complete the CIW childminding registration pack, including: health reference from your doctor, details of your qualifications and certificates, DBS Enhanced Disclosure for all members of your household over the age of 16 years. 

    All gas appliances including gas fired boilers will require a Gas Safe check together with a safety certificate.

    If your property is rented you will need written permission from your landlord to childmind from the property.


    Register to become a Childminder

  • Register with Information Commissioners Office (ICO): 

    If you plan to store certain data electronically and/or take digital photos on a mobile, phone, tablet etc. you will need to register with the ICO.
    Only register once you have been registered as a childminder by Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).
    For more information: 


    Data Protection Fee



  • Register with Shared Regulatory Services: 

    If you plan to provide food including light snacks you will need to register with Shared Regulatory Services / Environmental Health.


    Shared Regulatory Services

  • Register as Self-Employed with HMRC 

     As a childminder you'll need to register as self-employed with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and keep records/receipts.  


    HMRC - Tax Advice for Childminders

  • Grants and Funding

    The Welsh Government is launching a Childcare Grant to facilitate the creation of additional flexible childcare places throughout Wales.  There are two separate Grants under the Scheme being made available to help increase childcare in places.

    For more information:


    Childcare Grant

  • Meet the National Minimum Standards for Regulated  Childcare for Children up to the age of 12 years

    Childminders must be registered with CIW and must meet the National Minimum Standards. These are Minimum Standards for registration and in order to provide quality childcare, the general expectation is that you work toward ensuring that these basic standards are exceeded.



    National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare 


Once you have registered...

Please get in touch with us once you register as a childminder so we can promote your service free of charge to families across the Vale and keep you updated with training and funding opportunities.


Promote your service on our FIS Wales Database