Notice of Meeting ANNUAL MEETING OF THE COUNCIL OF THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN
Date and time
of Meeting WEDNESDAY 14TH MAY, 2014 AT 6.05 P.M.
Venue COUNCIL CHAMBER, CIVIC OFFICES
MEMBERS ARE ASKED TO NOTE THE TIME OF THE MEETING. PRAYERS WILL BE SAID AT 6.00 P.M.
1. Apologies for absence.
2. (a) To hear the roll call of members.
(b) To receive declarations of interest under the Council’s Code of Conduct.
(Note: Members seeking advice on this item are asked to contact the Monitoring Officer at least 48 hours before the meeting.)
[View Declarations of Interest Minute]
3. To elect a Mayor for the ensuing municipal year in accordance with the provisions of Sections 22 and 23 of the Local Government Act 1972.
[View Election of Mayor Minute]
4. To appoint a Deputy Mayor for the ensuing municipal year in accordance with the provisions of Section 24 of the Local Government Act 1972.
[View Appointment of Deputy Mayor Minute]
5. To receive any announcements from the Mayor or Head of Paid Service.
Reports of the Managing Director –
Executive Arrangements –
6. To note the position of the Leader and to be informed by the Leader of the names of Councillors chosen to be the Deputy Leader and Members of the Cabinet, together with their portfolios. (N.B. Details of the proposed payment of all Senior Salaries are also set out in the report.)
[View Executive Arrangements Minute]
Included in the agenda is a note covering changes in committee memberships in relation to Agenda Items 7 and 8 below, as notified to date by Group Leaders. Any further changes will be tabled at the meeting.
7. Non-Executive Arrangements –
To appoint Scrutiny Committees together with their terms of reference and to appoint their membership for the ensuing municipal year:
(a) Scrutiny (Corporate Resources)
(b) Scrutiny (Economy and Environment)
(c) Scrutiny (Housing and Public Protection)
(d) Scrutiny (Lifelong Learning)
(e) Scrutiny (Social Care and Health).
[View Scrutiny Committees Minute]
Quasi-Judicial Committees and Other Bodies –
8. To appoint the following bodies together with their terms of reference and to appoint their membership for the ensuing municipal year:
(a) Planning Committee
(b) Public Rights of Way Sub-Committee
(c) Licensing Committee
(d) Appeals Committee
(e) Investigating Committee
(f) Standards Committee
(g) Standards Committee Appointment Panel
(h) Standards Committee Appointments Committee
(i) Discretionary Housing Payments Review Committee.
Committees / Sub Committees / Panels
(j) Audit Committee
(k) Community Liaison Committee
(l) Democratic Services Committee
(m) Early Retirement / Redundancy Committee
(n) Joint Consultative Forum
(o) Senior Management Appointment Committee
(p) Trust Committee
(q) Voluntary Sector Joint Liaison Committee
(r) Welsh Church Act Estate Committee
(s) Appointment of LEA Governors - Advisory Panel.
Other Bodies (Including Joint Bodies)
(t) Residential Special Schools Panel
(u) Glamorgan Heritage Coast Advisory Group
(v) Equalities Consultative Forum
(w) Central South Consortium Joint Education Service Joint Committee
The revised Governance Model for the Consortium includes a streamlined Joint Committee, which will consist of a reduced number of Leaders or nominated representatives. Each constituent Local Authority has been asked to appoint one Member, which (according to the National Model) should be the Leader or nominated representative.
[View Quasi-Judicial Minute]
9. To note the dates of ordinary meetings of the Council to be held in the ensuing municipal year:
25th June, 2014
29th September, 2014 (N.B. Originally scheduled for 24th September. Members are asked to agree the revised date of 29th September)
17th December, 2014
4th March, 2015
6th May, 2015.
[View Dates of Council Meetings Minute]
10. To elect Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen of the following Committees for the ensuing municipal year:
(d) Community Liaison
(f) Welsh Church Act Estate
(g) Democratic Services Committee.
[View Election of Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen Minute]
11. Any other items which the Mayor has decided are urgent (Part I).
THE PUBLIC AND PRESS MAY BE EXCLUDED FROM THE MEETING DURING CONSIDERATION OF THE FOLLOWING ITEM(S) IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 100A(4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972.
12. Any other items which the Mayor has decided are urgent (Part II).
8th May, 2014
Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985
Inspection of background papers - In the first instance, enquiries should be made of Mr. J. Wyatt, Tel: Barry (01446) 709408.
Distribution: To all Members of the Council.