EARLY RETIREMENT / REDUNDANCY COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 13th January, 2014.
Present: Councillor S.C. Egan (Chairman); Councillor Mrs. P. Drake (Vice-Chairman); Councillors P.J. Clarke, N.P. Hodges, H.J.W. James and Mrs. A.J. Moore.
716 APOLOGY FOR ABSENCE –
This was received from Councillor Mrs. M. Kelly Owen.
717 MINUTES –
RESOLVED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 28th October, 2013 be approved as a correct record.
718 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST –
Councillor Mrs. P. Drake – Agenda Item No. 6 (Personal - prejudicial).
719 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC –
RESOLVED – T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the ground that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
720 DETERMINATION OF FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT – SOCIAL SERVICES (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) (DSS) –
Consideration was given to an application for flexible retirement of one officer within the Social Services Directorate.
(1) T H A T the application for flexible retirement be approved in accordance with the benefits set out in Appendix 1 to the report and with the officer’s final retirement date being 6th July 2017, subject to no other circumstances arising in the interim period whereby the employee’s employment is terminated for a different reason.
(2) T H A T the use of delegated powers by the Director of Social Services to secure the necessary changes to the establishment and to reduce the number of contracted hours from 37 hours to 18.5 hours per week be endorsed.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the flexible retirement application within the regulations and to accommodate any unforeseen eventualities.
(2) To achieve the necessary changes to the establishment.
721 DETERMINATION OF EARLY RETIREMENT – VISIBLE SERVICES AND HOUSING (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) (DVSH) –
Consideration was given to the proposed voluntary redundancy / early retirement of one officer within the Visible Services and Housing Directorate.
RESOLVED – T H A T the early retirement be approved with effect from 31st January 2014 in accordance with Scheme D of the Council’s Early Retirement / Redundancy Policy and a statutory redundancy payment be approved on the grounds of voluntary redundancy.
Reason for decision
To determine the voluntary redundancy application in line with the Council’s policy.
722 DETERMINATION OF EARLY RETIREMENT / REDUNDANCY – RESOURCES (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) (DR) –
Consideration was given to the proposed redundancy of one officer within the Resources Directorate.
(1) T H A T the redundancy be approved with effect from 20th April 2014 in accordance with Scheme E of the Council’s Early Retirement / Redundancy Policy and a discretionary redundancy payment be approved on the grounds of redundancy, subject to the employee complying with the Avoiding Redundancy Procedure subject to resolution (2) and (3) below.
(2) T H A T, should alternative employment be found for the officer, the notice period be extended to cover any trial period and the date of termination be amended to reflect the extension subject to resolution (3) below.
(3) T H A T, should any trial period prove successful, the termination date and redundancy payment be revoked.
Reason for decisions
(1-3) To determine the redundancy in line with the Council’s policy and to help facilitate the achievement of savings targets.