EARLY RETIREMENT / REDUNDANCY COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 10th March, 2014.
Present: Councillor S.C. Egan (Chairman); Councillor Mrs. P. Drake (Vice-Chairman); Councillors P.J. Clarke and Mrs. A.J. Moore.
Also present: Councillor N. Moore.
900 APOLOGY FOR ABSENCE –
This was received from Councillor Mrs. M. Kelly Owen.
901 MINUTES –
RESOLVED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 13th January, 2014 be approved as a correct record.
902 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST –
There were no declarations received.
903 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC –
RESOLVED – T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the ground that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
904 EARLY RETIREMENT / REDUNDANCY – CORPORATE AND CUSTOMER SERVICES (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) (MD) –
Consideration was given to applications for early retirement / redundancy for six officers within the Directorate of Corporate and Customer Services as a consequence of a restructuring exercise within the service.
The officer detailed at Appendix 1 to the report was in attendance for part of the meeting as it had been understood prior to the meeting that they wished to make representations to the Committee as allowed under JNC Terms and Conditions. However, as this was not the case they withdrew from the meeting and were not present during the presentation of the report or for the deliberations and the decision of this report or any others.
(1) T H A T the early retirement / redundancy terms for the officer detailed at Appendix 1 to the report be approved in accordance with Scheme D of the Council’s Discretionary Redundancy Policy and within the financial parameters as set out at Appendix 1, subject to Resolution (3) below.
(2) T H A T the redundancy terms for the five officers as detailed within the report be approved, in accordance with Scheme E of the Council’s Discretionary Redundancy Policy, within the financial parameters as set out in Appendices 2, 3, 4, 6 and Appendix 5 (as amended) and as detailed at paragraph 38 of the report subject to Resolution (3) below.
(3) T H A T approval be granted as detailed at Resolutions (1) and (2) above subject to suitable alternative employment not being secured as part of the operation of the Avoiding Redundancy Procedure or the requests ceasing to be necessary as a result of changes being made following the consultation period. If however, either of these circumstances arise the applications may be revoked.
Reason for decisions
(1-3) In determining the applications in accordance with the Council’s policy and to help facilitate the achievement of savings targets.
905 MATTER WHICH THE CHAIRMAN HAD DECIDED WAS URGENT -
RESOLVED - T H A T the following matter which the Chairman had decided was urgent for the reason given beneath the minute heading be considered.
906 DETERMINATION OF APPLICATION FOR REDUNDANCY – LEARNING AND SKILLS (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) (CLSO) -
(Urgent by reason of the need to agree the redundancy with effect from 1st April 2014)
Consideration was given to an application for voluntary redundancy / early retirement in respect of an officer within the Learning and Skills Directorate.
(1) T H A T the application for redundancy for the officer in accordance with the benefits and the financial parameters as set out at Appendix A to the report be approved.
(2) T H A T if alternative employment is found for the officer referred to in Resolution (1) above, the notice of termination to be revoked and Resolution (1) above revoked.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the redundancy for the employee in accordance with the Council’s Redundancy policies.
(2) In order that the relevant notice can be issued to the individual in line with the Council’s procedures and noting that the Council will continue to look for redeployment opportunities and, if found, then provided a trial is successful the individual to be retained in the redeployment role, which would then result in there being no need for the redundancy to take effect.