EARLY RETIREMENT/REDUNDANCY COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 28th July, 2014.
Present: Councillor S.C. Egan (Chairman); Councillor Mrs. P. Drake (Vice-Chairman); Councillors P.J. Clarke, H.J.W. James, Mrs. A.J. Moore and C.J. Williams.
284 APOLOGY FOR ABSENCE -
This was received from Councillor Mrs. M. Kelly Owen.
285 MINUTES -
RESOLVED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 30th June, 2014 be approved as a correct record.
286 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST -
No declarations were received.
287 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC -
RESOLVED – T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
288 APPLICATION FOR VOLUNTARY EARLY RETIREMENT (DD) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 13 AND 14) –
Consideration was given to an application for voluntary early retirement of one officer within the Directorate of Development Services.
RESOLVED – T H A T the voluntary early retirement of the officer be approved with effect from 31st July 2014 in accordance with Scheme D of the Council’s Early Retirement / Redundancy Policy and a statutory redundancy payment be approved on the grounds of redundancy.
Reason for decision
To determine the application for voluntary early retirement in line with the Council’s policy.
289 DETERMINATION OF REDUNDANCY (DLS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) –
Consideration was given to the proposed redundancy of five officers within the Learning and Skills Directorate.
(1) T H A T the redundancy of the five officers be approved from the date of the expiry of notice / payment in lieu or such earlier date as agreed by the Director of Learning and Skills and on the basis of Scheme D in respect of employee B and Scheme E in respect of the four remaining officers and statutory redundancy payments be approved on the grounds of redundancy subject to the officers complying with the Council’s Avoiding Redundancy Procedure and subject to resolution (2) and (3) below.
(2) T H A T, should suitable employment be found for the officers, the notice periods be extended to cover any trial period and the dates of termination be amended to reflect the extensions subject to resolution (3) below.
(3) T H A T should any trial period(s) prove successful, the termination date(s) and redundancy payment(s) be revoked.
Reason for decisions
(1-3) To determine the redundancies in line with the Council’s policy.
290 APPLICATION FOR FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT (DSS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) –
Consideration was given to two applications for flexible retirement in respect of two officers within the Directorate of Social Services.
(1) T H A T the applications for flexible retirement be approved in accordance with the Council’s Policy subject to no other circumstances arising in the interim whereby the employment were to be terminated for a different reason.
(2) T H A T the use of the Chief Officer’s Delegated Powers be endorsed, to enable both the employees to reduce their contracted hours from 37 to 22 hours per week commencing 6th October 2014, subject to the final retirement date in respect of the two officers as set out in paragraph 10 of the report. The approval was subject to there being no other employees successfully claiming a match or being successful following competitive interview for the new posts created in response to the proposed service restructuring as set out in the report and in the attached appendices.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the flexible retirement applications within the regulations and manage the Council’s discretionary provisions and to allow for eventualities that may not be known at this time.
(2) To agree in principle the flexible retirement to be pursued in respect of each employee and the sharing arrangement should there be no other colleagues successfully matched in the above teams.