EARLY RETIREMENT/REDUNDANCY COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 22nd June, 2015.
Present: Councillor S.C. Egan (Chairman); Councillor Mrs. P. Drake (Vice-Chairman); Councillors P.J. Clarke, G. John and Mrs. A.J. Moore.
116 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE –
These were received from Councillors H.J.W. James and Mrs. M. Kelly Owen.
117 MINUTES –
RESOLVED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 20th April, 2015 be approved as a correct record.
118 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST –
No declarations were received.
119 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC –
RESOLVED – T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
120 APPLICATION FOR FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT – D (HOF)(EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 13 AND 14) –
Consideration was given to an application for flexible retirement in respect of one officer within the Resources Directorate.
(1) T H A T the flexible retirement of D be approved in accordance with the Council's policy, subject to no other circumstances arising in the interim whereby the employment were to be terminated for a different reason, be approved.
(2) T H A T the use of the appropriate delegated powers be endorsed, to enable D to reduce the contracted hours of the employee from 37 to 22 hours per week from the week commencing 1st July, 2015.
(3) T H A T the retirement of D from employment with the Council takes place on or before 30th June, 2016.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the flexible retirement application within the regulations and to allow for eventualities that may not be known at this time
(2&3) To achieve the necessary change to the employee's working hours, to assist service continuity and to provide appropriate development support to an existing trainee within the service.
121 DETERMINATION OF REDUNDANCY – N (DS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12 and 14) –
Consideration was given to an application for redundancy / early retirement in respect of one officer within the Development Services Directorate.
(1) T H A T a statutory redundancy payment be approved for N under scheme E of the Council's Early Retirement / Voluntary Redundancy policy on the basis of termination on the grounds of redundancy.
(2) T H A T, should alternative employment be found for N, the notice will be extended to cover any trial period if necessary and recommendation (1) be revoked, together with the redundancy payment should the trial period prove successful.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To support the implementation of the amendments to the Council's establishment and to support the Council in achieving the financial efficiencies and organisational changes to maintain sustainable service delivery.
(2) To comply with the terms of the Council's Avoiding Redundancy Policy.
122 MATTER WHICH THE CHAIRMAN HAD DECIDED WAS URGENT -
RESOLVED - T H A T the following matter which the Chairman had decided was urgent for the reason given beneath the minute heading be considered.
123 DETERMINATION OF REDUNDANCY – S, P(i), R AND P(ii) (LS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) –
Urgent by reason of the need to determine the applications and make the necessary changes to the service establishment
Consideration was given to applications for the ending of temporary employment and potential redundancy payments in respect of four officers within the Learning and Skills Directorate.
(1) T H A T the end of temporary contracts for S, P(i) and P(ii) on 15th September 2015 and R on 7th July 2015, be approved on the basis that funding for the programme has been withdrawn by Welsh Government.
(2) T H A T on the basis of length of service a redundancy payment be approved with effect from 15th September 2015 for S, P(i) and P(ii) and R from 7th July 2015, or such earlier date as recommended by the Director of Learning and Skills, on the basis of Scheme E and on the basis that staff have over two years’ service.
(3) T H A T should alternative employment be found for S, P(i), R and P(ii), the notice be extended to cover for the individual(s) to undertake any trial period if necessary and recommendation (1) be revoked, together with the redundancy payment, should the trial period prove successful.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To ensure that the costs associated with the Service are contained within available grant funding.
(2) To ensure the Council complies with relevant employment legislation in paying, where applicable, an appropriate redundancy payment to staff based on the statutory redundancy scheme.
(3) To maintain compliance with the Council’s agreed Avoiding Redundancy, Management of Change and associated policies and procedures.