EARLY RETIREMENT / REDUNDANCY COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 14th September, 2015.
Present: Councillor S.C. Egan (Chairman); Councillors P.J. Clarke, H.J.W. James, G. John and Mrs. M. Kelly Owen.
380 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE -
These were received from Councillors Mrs. P. Drake and Mrs. A.J. Moore.
381 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST -
No declarations were received.
382 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC -
RESOLVED - T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the ground that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
383 DETERMINATION OF VOLUNTARY EARLY RETIREMENT / VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCY APPLICATIONS – BUILDING CLEANING AND SECURITY REVIEW – B, C1, C2, C3, E, I, J1, K, M, AND S; C4, C5, D, J2, R AND T (DEHS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION - PARAGRAPHS 12a, 13 AND 14) -
Members considered the report that had been presented to the meeting on 7th September, 2015 that had not been discussed due to the fact that the meeting had become inquorate following a Declaration of Interest by a Member of the Committee at that time. In recognition of the Members previous declaration and their subsequent inability to remain involved in the consideration of this report, the relevant Member had subsequently provided their apologies for absence.
The Head of Housing and Building Services and the Operational Manager for Buildings in presenting the report advised that the applications were for consideration for voluntary redundancy / early retirement in respect of staff affected by the review of Building Cleaning and Security Services. The Committee was informed that as a result of a review of the Building Cleaning and Security Services, a potential projected reduction in staffing levels for future service provision had been agreed ( subject to consultation) by Cabinet on 1st June, 2015 in order to achieve the required financial savings within the Department. The report at that time had identified the potential number of affected staff within the existing level of service provided and indicated the potential implications the proposals may have for building users and the way in which the required staffing and operational changes would be implemented and managed. As a result of the proposed reduction and the posts available within these locations, consultation with the staff and recognised Trade Unions had been conducted with those affected by the proposals. In light of the potential redundancies to be made in these areas a number of staff had expressed an interest to pursue voluntary redundancy / early retirement.
Ten members of the cleaning staff had formally requested the Council consider granting voluntary redundancy under the Council’s scheme for early retirement / redundancy termination. However, of the current 24 security and portering staff employed in the service, two members of staff within the service had requested redeployment to alternative vacant positions leaving a proposed reduction of four members of staff to achieve the required staffing levels. Six members of staff had formally applied during the consultation period to access voluntary redundancy / early retirement. Given that the reason the service had invited applications for voluntary redundancy was primarily to achieve cost efficiencies and to maintain the continued viability of the services, the Council was however only able to support the four most financially advantageous applications to the Council. The Operational Manager also advised that since the consultation had been undertaken, one of the six employees who had registered an interest in accessing voluntary redundancy had recently requested to alter their voluntary application in favour of statutory redundancy which had resulted in a change to the order of ranking.
Following consideration of the amendment as outlined at the meeting and the information contained in the report, it was subsequently
(1) T H A T redundancy be approved as detailed at Appendix A to the report, in respect of the following cleaning staff B, C2, C3, E, I, J1, K and M on the basis of Scheme E and the redundancy / early retirement under Scheme D of the Council’s Approved Policy in respect of C1 and S with effect on or before 30th November, 2015, subject to resolution 3 below.
(2) T H A T redundancy be approved (as detailed at Appendix A to the report) on the basis of scheme E in respect of security and portering staff D and T and under Scheme D of the Council’s Approved Scheme statutory redundancy payment in respect of employees J2 and R with effect on or before 30th November, 2015, subject to resolution 3 below and the applications in respect of C4 and C5 be declined.
(3) T H A T should alternative employment be found for any of the employees identified within the Resolutions (1) and (2) above and as contained within the detail of the report, the duration of the redundancy notice period be extended to cover any trial period if necessary and Resolutions (1) and (2) be revoked, together with redundancy payments / early retirement in the event that the trial period was successful.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the option for B, C1, C2, C3, E, I, J1, K, M, and S, in accordance with the Council's Early Retirement / Redundancy / Termination policy.
(2) To determine the option for D, J2, R, and T, in accordance with the Council's Early Retirement / Redundancy / Termination policy, achieve compliance with the agreed redundancy eligibility criteria in respect of this service review and as a result of the amended application by J2 as outlined at the meeting.
(3) To maintain compliance with relevant employment legislation and to apply the Council's Management of Change policy, Avoiding Redundancy policy which accords with employee relations practice and endeavours where possible to reduce the number of redundancies by finding suitable alternative employment within the Council.