EARLY RETIREMENT / REDUNDANCY COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 5th October, 2015.
Present: Councillor S.C. Egan (Chairman); Councillor Mrs. P. Drake (Vice-Chairman); Councillors P.J. Clarke, G. John and Mrs. A.J. Moore.
447 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE –
These were received from Councillors H.J.W. James and Mrs. M. Kelly Owen.
448 MINUTES –
RESOLVED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 7th and 14th September, 2015 be approved as a correct record.
449 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST –
No declarations were received.
450 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC –
RESOLVED – T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the ground that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
451 APPLICATIONS FOR FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT – B1, S AND B2 (MD) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS – 13 AND 14) –
Consideration was given to applications for flexible retirement relating to two officers within the Directorate of Resources. The Committee noted that Applicant B1 had withdrawn their application.
(1) T H A T the applications in respect of S and B2 be approved in accordance with the Council’s policy subject to no other circumstances arising in the interim whereby the employment were to be terminated for a different reason.
(2) T H A T the contracts of employment in respect of the two Applicants be reduced from 37 to 22 hours per week from week commencing 1st November, 2015 and that appropriate delegated powers be used to secure the necessary changes to the establishment.
(3) T H A T the retirement of S and B2 from the employment of the Council takes effect on or before 31st October, 2016.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the flexible retirement applications within the regulations.
(2&3) To achieve the necessary change to the employees’ working hours, to assist service continuity and provide appropriate support to trainee preparations.
452 DETERMINATION OF APPLICATION FOR REDUNDANCY – S. (DLS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13, 14 AND 16) –
Consideration was given to an application for a retrospective redundancy payment in respect of one officer within the Directorate of Learning and Skills.
RESOLVED – T H A T a retrospective statutory redundancy payment be approved in accordance with Scheme E of the Council’s Early Retirement / Redundancy Policy.
Reason for decision
To ensure the Council complied with its obligations in relation to displacement of staff due to a reduction in work.
453 DETERMINATION OF REDUNDANCY / EARLY RETIREMENT – B. AND S. (HHR) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) –
Consideration was given to two applications for early retirement on the grounds of redundancy of two employees within the Council’s Environment and Housing Directorate.
(1) T H A T the application in respect of B. be approved on the basis of Scheme D of the Council’s Discretionary Redundancy Policy set out in Appendix A to the report and within the financial parameters as set out in Appendix B of the report.
(2) T H A T the application in respect of S. be approved in accordance with Scheme C of Bridgend Council’s Discretionary Scheme (as set out in Appendix C) and as provided for by determination of Council on 4th March, 2015. Such application be approved within the financial parameters as set out in Appendix D of the report.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To support the Council in achieving the financial efficiencies and organisational changes necessary to maintain sustainable service delivery.
(2) In accordance with decision (1) above and to ensure the protection of severance arrangements for officers transferring to the Council as part of the new shared service.