Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Corporate Performance and Resources Scrutiny Committee: 14th June 2016
Report of the Managing Director
Capital Monitoring Report for the period 1st April to 30th April 2016
Purpose of the Report
- To advise Scrutiny Committee of the progress on the 2016/17 Capital Programme for the period 1st April to 30th April 2016.
- That this Committee notes the following changes to the 2016/17 Capital Programme:
- St Andrews Major Church In Wales Primary Fencing - Increase the 2016/17 Capital Programme by £66k to be funded from the School Rationalisation Reserve.
- Jenner Park and Colcot Pitches - The scheme name change to Colcot Pitches.
- Causeway Improvement Scheme - Increase the 2016/17 Capital Programme by £30k to be funded from s106 monies.
- Paget Road Open Space Play Facility - The scheme name change to North Penarth Open Space Improvements.
- Castleland Renewal Area - To vire £100k from Castleland Renewal Area to Penarth Renewal Area.
Reasons for the Recommendations
- To allow members to be aware of progress on the Capital Programme and to allow schemes to proceed in the current financial year.
- Council on the 2nd March 2016 minute no 884 approved the Capital Programme for 2016/17 onwards.
Relevant Issues and Options
- Appendix 1 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 30th April 2016.
- The monitoring report shows actual expenditure for the month of April 2016 and is matched by a similar figure in the profile to date column, thereby showing no variances. Profiled expenditure has been requested from Project Managers and will be updated in the next report.
- Members should be aware that Appendix 1 does not include requests for unspent committed expenditure to be slipped from 2015/16 into 2016/17. A request for this slippage will be included in the Closure of Accounts report presented to a future Cabinet meeting.
- For all schemes where it is evident that the full year's budget will not be spent during the year, the relevant officers are required to provide an explanation for the shortfall and this shall be taken to the earliest available Cabinet.
- Appendix 2 provides non-financial information on capital construction schemes with a budget of over £100k. Where a budget shown in Appendix 1 is more than £100k but is made up of several schemes that individually are less than £100k, the scheme is not included in Appendix 2.
Learning and Development
- St Andrews Major Church In Wales Primary Fencing - An Estyn report has raised safeguarding issues at this school and to rectify this issue new fencing is required. It has therefore been requested that the 2016/17 capital programme is increased by £66k, to be funded from the Schools Rationalisation reserve.
- Gwenfo Primary Expansion - Emergency Powers have been used to increase this scheme by £70k, to be funded from the School Investment Strategy reserve. The extra budget is required as a result of the tenders received being over budget.
- Asset Renewal - A Delegated Authority request has been used to allocate the £200k Asset Renewal budget as follows:
Social Services Lift Refurbishment £3k
Renewal of Boilers £50k
Fire Precaution Works £45k
Residential Homes Toilet Refurbishments £20k
Electrical Rewires to Social Services Properties £50k
Residential Home Refurbishment £32k
Environment & Housing
- Housing Improvement Programme - A Delegated Authority request has been used to allocate the £28.882m budget as follows :
WHQS Internals £2,085k
WHQS Externals £17,339k
Jenner Road £920k
Clive Road £113k
St Lukes £1,059k
St Pauls £457k
Williams Crescent £1,354k
Emergency Works £151k
Aids and Adaptations £400k
Common Parts £2,200k
WHQS Environmental Improvements £774k
New Build £1,800k
- Jenner Park and Colcot Pitches - The Jenner Park pitches included in this scheme were completed in 2015/16 and it has therefore been requested that the name of this scheme is changed to Colcot Pitches.
- Road Safety Grant - Emergency Powers have been approved for the inclusion of a £61k Welsh Government grant for Road Safety improvements at Court Road.
- Safer Routes in Communities - Emergency Powers have been approved for the inclusion of a £99k Welsh Government grant for works to Dinas Powys cycle way.
- Culverhouse Cross to St Athan via the Airport - Emergency Powers have been approved for the inclusion of a £600k Welsh Government grant for bus improvement schemes on Port Road.
Managing Director and Resources
- Causeway Improvement Scheme - Members have approved that a £30k sustainable transport s106 contribution from the conversion of the Marine Hotel, Barry Island, be spent towards the Harbour Road Causeway Improvement scheme. It has therefore been requested that the 2016/17 Capital Programme is increased by £30k to be funded from s106 monies.
- Causeway Improvement Scheme - Emergency Powers have been used to vire £60k to the scheme to cover increased construction, design and supervision costs. This is to be funded from £19k Drainage Asset Renewal and £41k Flood Risk Management budgets.
- Paget Road Open Space Play Facility - The Council is currently investigating opportunities for improvements at nearby public open spaces in the vicinity of Penarth Heights and as part of this process are considering a number of parks in North Penarth. As such the Council is in the process of devising public consultation for enhancements, which will be undertaken during 2016. It has therefore been requested that the name of this scheme is changed to 'North Penarth Open Space Improvements'.
- Castleland Renewal Area - £100k of this budget is uncommitted and due to the ongoing commitments to make good the poor workmanship of Phase 5b of the Penarth Renewal Area at Queens Road, it is estimated that a budget of £100k will be needed to complete these works. Options are currently being explored to recover this money. A virement of £100k from Castleland Renewal Area to Penarth Renewal Area scheme has been requested.
- ROWIP Grant - Emergency Powers have been approved for the inclusion of a £31k Natural Resources Wales grant for Rights of Way Improvement schemes.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- There are no direct financial implications of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- There are no sustainability and climate change implications.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- There are no legal implications.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- There are no equal opportunity implications.
- Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and Members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
- This is a matter for executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- Each Scrutiny Committee will receive a monitoring report on their respective areas. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee