Agenda Item No 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Corporate Performance and Resources Scrutiny Committee: 20th September 2016
Report of the Managing Director
Capital Monitoring Report for the period 1st April to 31st July 2016
Purpose of the Report
- To advise Scrutiny Committee of the progress on the 2016/17 Capital Programme for the period 1st April to 31st July 2016.
It is recommended :-
- That Committee note the following changes to the 2016/17 Capital Programme:-
- ICF Longmeadow Court - An increase of £219k to be funded from the Intermediate Care Fund.
- Boverton Flooding - Virement of £28k from the Additional Highways / Environmental Improvement scheme to this scheme.
- Ogmore By Sea Sustainable Transport - An increase of £30k to be funded from s106 monies.
- Salisbury Road Play Area - An increase of £50k to be funded from the Visible Services Reserve.
Reasons for the Recommendations
- To allow Members to be aware of progress and amendments to the Capital Programme.
- Council on the 2nd March 2016 minute no 884 approved the Capital Programme for 2016/17 onwards.
Relevant Issues and Options
- Appendix 1 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 31st July 2016.
- For all schemes where it is evident that the full year's budget will not be spent during the year, the relevant officers are required to provide an explanation for the shortfall and this shall be taken to the earliest available Cabinet.
- Appendix 2 provides non-financial information on capital construction schemes with a budget of over £100k. Where a budget shown in Appendix 1 is more than £100k but is made up of several schemes that individually are less than £100k, the scheme is not included in Appendix 2.
Learning and Skills
- Gwenfo Primary Expansion - Delegated authority has been used to approve a virement of £40k to this scheme from the Education Asset Renewal Contingency budget, in order to allow the project to be completed and to meet all the educational needs of the school.
- A new capital scheme to the value of £219k has been approved from the Intermediate Care Fund (ICF) for two step down units as Longmeadow Court. It has been requested that the capital programme is increase accordingly.
Environment & Housing
- Visible Services Asset Renewal - The Visible Asset Renewal budget was agreed by Cabinet on 22nd February 2016, minute number C3080. Recommendation 3 stated "THAT delegated authority be granted to the Managing Director and the Head of Finance, in consultation with the Cabinet Member responsible for Finance, to make additions, deletions or transfers to or from the 2016/17 to 2020/21 Asset Renewal budgets as appropriate." This delegated authority has been used to allocate the Visible Services Asset Renewal as follows: -
Coastal Infrastructure £50k
Public Conveniences Refurbishment £25k
Highway Structures £159k
Traffic Management Measures £116k
Parks and Grounds Maintenance £150k
- Boverton Flooding - A Welsh Government grant of £1.9m has been accepted for this scheme on 4th August 2016. The Council now needs to increase its match funding budget, which is already included in the capital programme, by £28k. It has therefore been requested that this amount is vired from the Additional Highways/Environmental Improvement scheme which is not currently fully committed.
Managing Director and Resources
- Ogmore By Sea Sustainable Transport Improvements - It has been requested that £30k of s106 funding is included in the capital programme for this scheme. This is to fund the relocation and improvement works to the bus stop serving St Brides Primary School.
- Salisbury Road Play Area - It has been requested that £50k is transferred from the Visible Services Reserve in order to fund works to this Play Area, in line with project brief and community expectations. Funding for play areas was set aside as part of the 2015/16 closing process.
- Barry Regeneration Project Development Fund - Delegated Authority has been used to apportion funding to the following schemes:
- Project Management Unit £49k
- Landscape Design Service £16k
- Salisbury Road Play Area £20k
- Alexandra Gardens Play Area £1k
- Holton Road Commercial Renewal Area Grant Programme £51k
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- There are no direct financial implications of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- There are no sustainability and climate change implications.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- There are no legal implications.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- There are no equal opportunity implications.
- Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and Members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
- This is a matter for executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- Each Scrutiny Committee will receive a monitoring report on their respective areas, which will consider the relevant information relating to the respective Scrutiny Committee. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee