Agenda Item No. 3
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 24th March 2015
Report of the Leader
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for Managing Director and Head of Paid Service
Purpose of the Report
1. To provide an update on the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Managing Director and Head of Paid Service and to ask the Committee to consider and to identify (following interview) a suitable candidate for appointment to the post of Managing Director and Head of Paid Service.
1. To receive presentations and conduct interviews on the 24th March 2015 of those candidates shortlisted at the last meeting of the Committee in relation to the post of Managing Director and Head of Paid Service
2. To delegate residual appointment details, as appropriate to the Head of Human Resources, in consultation with the Leader of the Council.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure the appointment proceeds in accordance with the requirements of the Council's Constitution.
2. The recruitment and selection arrangements for the position of Managing Director were initially approved by the Senior Management Appointment Committee on the 9th February 2015.
3. In accordance with the above seven candidates were seen as part of an initial Assessment Centre, which was administered by Solace Enterprises on the 17th March 2015.
4. In addition to the above, candidates selected for long listing also undertook a variety of "on line" psychometric and ability tests during week commencing 9th March 2015 in advance of their attendance at the Assessment Centre
5. An external Technical Adviser provided by Solace Enterprises has attended at the Assessment Centre and also at the meetings of this Committee held on 10th and 18th March 2015.
6. At the meeting of the Committee held on the 18th March the external Technical Adviser provided feedback to Members of the Committee along with a summary of the outcome of the assessment process on each of the long listed candidates following their "on line tests" and their attendance at the Assessment Centre.
7. Following receipt of the feedback from the Technical Adviser and consideration of the Job Description and Person Specification the Committee determined to invite three candidates to attend for final interview and to deliver a presentation to the meeting of the Committee on Tuesday 24th March 2015.
8. Reference requests on each of the candidates short-listed for final interview were sent out following their identification by the Committee on the 18th March 2015. Responses were asked to be returned to the Council by 5pm on Monday 23rd March 2015 to facilitate their consideration by Members of the Committee the next day.
9. The Senior Management Appointment Committee will continue to be supported by the external Technical Adviser to assist Members in the recruitment and selection process.
Relevant Issues and Options
10. Attached at Appendix A is a copy of the agreed Job Description and at Appendix B a copy of the agreed Person Specification which Members should continue to have regard in their consideration to identify those candidates that most closely meet the essential requirements of the post.
11. Members are requested to bring the application forms of those candidates short-listed to attend for interview to the meeting of the 24th March 2015 to assist their assessment of the suitability of the candidates for this appointment. Interviews will be conducted under "Part 2" provisions of Access to Information legislation.
12. Candidates short-listed to attend for interview at the meeting of the Committee on the 24th March will be supplied with a topic in advance of the meeting, on which they will be invited to provide a presentation and respond to questions by Members at the meeting as part of the final interview and selection process.
13. In addition to the above, candidates will be asked to respond to a variety of questions by Members at the meeting. Candidates will also be afforded the opportunity to ask questions of the Committee in respect of the duties and responsibilities associated with the appointment.
14. Members will be provided with the details of all the returned references received by the Council to assist their further consideration of the suitability of each candidate.
15. As previously advised, the decision of the Committee will be referred for ratification at the Special Meeting of the Council on Wednesday 25th March 2015.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
16. The background to the recruitment to the post, together with the resource implications were set out in the report to Council on 17th December 2014 and in the reports to the Senior Management Appointment Committee of the 9th February and the 10th March 2015.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
17. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
18. As set out within the report to Council on the 17th December 2014.
Crime and Disorder Implications
19. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
20. The recruitment process within this and the previous Committee report have been managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed recruitment and selection policy and the requirements of the Local Authorities (Standing Order) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2014.
21. The proposals within this report have been designed to help meet the requirements of the senior management restructure and specifically to ensure the continued management of the Council following the retirement of the current Managing Director and Director of Resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
22. Confirmation of the appointment of Head of Paid Service is a mandatory Council function. As alluded to earlier in this and previous reports, a Special Council Meeting has been arranged for 25th March 2015 for this purpose.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
23. As set out in the report to Council on 17th December 2014.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
24. Corporate Resources.
Council Report of 17th December 2014
Senior Management Appointment Committee 9th February, 10th March and 18th March, 2015.
A Unsworth, Operational Manager (Human Resources) - Tel: 01446 709359.
Operational Manager (Democratic Services).
Cllr N Moore, Leader - Tel: 01446 709470