Agenda Item No 6
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 14 February 2017
Report of the Managing Director
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Director of Social Services
Purpose of the Report
To set out the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Director of Social Services.
- To approve the recruitment and selection arrangements for the above post and all relevant documentation as set out in this report.
Reason for the Recommendation
- To ensure the appointment is in accordance with the Councils Constitution.
- Members will be aware that a report setting out important changes to the senior management structure within the Social Services Directorate was approved by Cabinet on the 6th February 2017.
- An important element of the report was the need to ensure resilience within the structure going forward and succession planning arrangements for the statutory post of Director of Social Services. Members will be aware that the current Director has given notice of his intention to retire during 2017.
- On the basis of the above, this report sets out the proposed recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Director of Social Services over the next months with a view to securing appointment as soon as possible. The current Director has agreed to stay in post until a successor has been secured.
- With the requirements of the new Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014.it is imperative that we appoint and replace to the position to ensure that we continue to meet our obligations under the Act.
Relevant Issues and Options
- On the basis of the above, it is proposed to advertise the post (both internal and external) during week commencing 14th February 2017 with a view to concluding final interviews during week commencing 27th March or 3rd April 2017.
- A copy of the proposed job description and person specification is attached for the approval of Committee (Appendix A and Appendix B respectively).
- Appointment to the post will be on JNC Chief Officer's terms and conditions of employment.
- A report setting out proposed changes to the salary level of the post is due for consideration by Council on the 9th February. If approved the salary will be in accordance with the Council's Director 2 annual salary range (£88,963 to £98,848). The salary is inclusive of the JNC pay award which is due on 1st April 2017.
- It is proposed to advertise the post within Community Care, Wales online, the Council's website and a signpost advert in the Western Mail. Further details about the recruitment schedule, the costs and a copy of the proposed advert wording will be tabled at the meeting.
- It will be necessary to reconvene the Senior Management Appointment Committee on the 9th March in order to confirm the long listing arrangements and ahead of a proposed 'assessment centre' process on the 23rd March.
- In addition, arrangements have been put in place for the Committee to reconvene on the 30th March 2017 to confirm the final short-list and then to conduct final interviews on the 5th April 2017. However, in the event that there is a low number of suitable applicants, Members may wish to consider conducting the final interviews on the 30th March 2017. This can be considered at the long-listing meeting on the 9th March.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- It is intended that the projected costs of the advert production and potential media costs will be circulated for consideration and determination at the meeting of the Committee.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- There are no sustainability or climate change implications as a result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- There are no direct legal implications resulting from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications resulting from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- The recruitment process will reflect best equal opportunities practice and in accordance with the Council's Welsh Language Standards provisions.
- Successful appointment to the position of Director of Social Services will have a major impact on the delivery of Councils corporate and service objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The decision of the Senior Management Appointment Committee will be referred for information to the Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- The recognised Trade Unions have been consulted on these proposals.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
- Corporate Performance and Resources
- Homes and Safe Communities
Reuben Bergman - Head of Human Resources
Corporate Management Team
Rob Thomas - Managing Director