Agenda Item No 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 14th February 2017
Report of the Director of Social Services
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding
Purpose of the Report
- To set out the arrangements to approve/progress the recruitment and selection of the position of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding (former Head of Business Management and Innovation) in the Directorate of Social Services.
- To approve the recruitment and selection arrangements for the vacant post of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding, Directorate of Social Services, as set out in paragraphs 9 to 15 of this report.
Reason for the Recommendation
- To ensure that the appointment, recruitment and selection arrangements for the position of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding are progressed in accordance with the approval of the Committee and in accordance with the requirements of the Council's Constitution.
- Members will be aware that the former established post of Head of Business Management and Innovation is currently filled on an acting up basis until the end of March 2017; an arrangement that has contributed to the recent senior management restructure.
- The above arrangement was approved by the Senior Management Appointment Committee on the 15th July 2015 following which the opportunity was advertised as a potential temporary secondment for a period of 6 months (with an option for review). The post was subsequently advertised internally within the Council, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and the other nine Local Authorities within the South East Wales Improvement Collaboration.
- At the meeting of the Senior Management Appointment Committee held on the 21st August 2015, the Committee appointed the current post holder on the basis of a six month temporary appointment (acting up) from the 1st September 2015. The arrangement has been extended during this period to enable the Director of Social Services to explore options for some of the functions of the post to be delivered on a regional or corporate basis.
- These opportunities have not been realised and there is an urgent need to strengthen the Division to enable the Service to respond to the increasing challenges around safeguarding, regional working, commissioning and contracting and the specific requirements of the Social Services and Well-being Act.
- In recognition of the above, Members will be aware of the report that recommended the changes to the senior management restructuring arrangements within the Directorate of Social Services which was approved by Cabinet on the 6th February. As part of the restructuring arrangements the former position of Head of Business Management and Innovation has been re-designated to that of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding.
- The rationale for the restructuring arrangements and the purpose and remit of the re-designated Head of Service position along with the revised Organisation Service Structure were set out in the Cabinet report of the 6th February 2017. The grade, the terms and conditions along with the duties and responsibilities of the post will remain the same.
- The role will continue to retain responsibility for substantial revenue budgets which are frequently under pressure, along with significant commissioning activities and be a member of the Social Services Directorate Management Team.
- The recommendations as set out in this report will realise the decision of the Cabinet to commence and conclude the recruitment process for the established post of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding in a timely manner.
- For the information, consideration and approval of Members a copy of the proposed Job Description and Person Specification in respect of the post of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding are attached at Appendix A and Appendix B of this report.
Relevant Issues and Options
- As part of the revised new management structure approved by Cabinet and recognising that there will be further changes to the structure below that of Head of Service and the potential displacement of staff, it is proposed that the vacant post be advertised on an internal basis.
- The above approach is recommended to take account of the Council's internal development and succession planning which should realise suitably experienced and qualified staff to apply for the post. If approved, the closing date for receipt of applications will be Tuesday 28th February. This arrangement would also support the expectations of the Council's agreed Avoiding Redundancy Procedures and supporting policies and procedures
- Following receipt of applications, it is proposed that an initial short list of suitable candidates are identified on the 1st March 2017 by the Director of Social Services in consultation with the Head of Human Resources and the relevant Cabinet Member having regard to the proposed Job Description and Person Specification for the post. Following short listing, the selected candidate(s) will be invited to attend technical interviews on Monday 6th March 2017.
- On conclusion of the above technical selection process, suitable applicant(s) will be identified and will be invited to attend for interview by the Senior Management Appointment Committee on the 9th March 2017. It is proposed that, at the meeting of the Committee, Members receive a presentation and interview the final short listed applicant(s) and that Members then determine if there is a suitable internal candidate for appointment to the vacant post.
- In the event that this report and the recommendations are approved, an internal advert will be circulated within the Council on the 15th February 2017 and applications sought by the defined closing date of Tuesday 28th February 2017 to assist progression of the recruitment process.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- The resource implications are referenced in this report and are set out in full within the relevant report to Cabinet on the 6th February 2017.
- For the information of Members, the proposed Job Description and Person Specification were previously supplied to the Hay Group who confirmed that the duties and responsibilities fall within the Council's published Head of Service grade/ salary provisions. Given the only substantive change is to the designation attached to the post, there will be no change to the exiting Head of Service grade for the vacant position.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- The recruitment arrangements to the posts set out in this report are congruent with the requirements of the Council's Constitution and the requirements of The Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- The proposed internal advertisement , recruitment and selection proposals set out in this report will be managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed Recruitment and Selection Policy, Avoiding Redundancy provisions and within the requirements of The Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
- The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure the provision of effective senior management arrangements in the Directorate and in the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The issues within this report are delegated to the Senior Management Appointment Committee in accordance with the Council's Constitution.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- Set out in the relevant report to Cabinet on 6th February 2017.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
- Healthy Living & Social Care
Cabinet Report of the 6th February 2017.
Reuben Bergman, Head of Human Resources
Head of Human Resources
Head of Democratic Services
Operational Manager Human Resources
Phil Evans, Director of Social Services