Agenda Item No. 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 9th March, 2017
Report of the Managing Director
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the position of Director of Social Services
Purpose of the Report
- To provide an update on the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Director of Social Services and to ask the Committee to confirm a long list of candidates for preliminary assessment and officer interviews.
- To note the information presented within the report and to confirm a long list of candidates for preliminary assessment, and technical interviews by officers.
Reason for the Recommendation
- To ensure the appointment proceeds in accordance with the Councils Constitution.
- The Senior Management Appointment Committee approved the recruitment process for the post of Director of Social Services on the 14th February 2017.
- An advert was placed in Community Care, Western Mail and internal in the Council with a closing date of Sunday, 5th March 2017.
Relevant Issues and Options
- As the closing date is Sunday 5th March it is not possible to at this time to confirm the number of applications received or their suitability for long-listing.
- All applications received by the closing date will, however be sent to Committee Members ahead of the meeting on the 9th March 2017 for consideration.
- A summary of all the candidates will also be tabled at the meeting together with a verbal update on the long-listing proposals will be provided by Officers under the "Part II" provisions of Access to Information legislation.
- Those candidates selected for further consideration will then be invited to attend an assessment centre on Thursday, 23rd March, 2017. The assessment centre will involve a technical interview by Officers, relevant ability/competency exercises. The assessment centre will be supported by an external provider.
- The assessment process will help determine a final shortlist for recommendation to Members at a further meeting of the Committee on the 30th March and then final interview on the 5th April. However dependant on numbers, Members may wish to also conduct the final interviews on the 30th March, 2017.
- A copy of the agreed job description and person specification is attached to assist Members in their consideration at Appendix A and Appendix B respectively.
- Members will be provided with a breakdown of the media responses at the meeting on the 9th March, 2017.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- The vacancy is a consequence of the retirement of the current Director of Social Services.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- There are not sustainability or climate change implications as a result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- There are no direct legal implications resulting from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications resulting from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- The recruitment process will reflect best equal opportunities practice.
- The successful appointment to the position of Director of Social Services will have a major impact on the delivery of the Council's corporate and service objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The final decision of the Senior Management Appointment Committee will be referred for information to the Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- The recognised Trade Unions have been consulted on these proposals.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Tel 01446 709357
Phil Evans - Director of Social Services
Rob Thomas - Managing Director