Agenda Item No. 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 9th March, 2017
Report of the Director of Social Services
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding
Purpose of the Report
- To set out interview arrangements in respect of the post of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding and to ask the Committee to identify and confirm a suitable candidate for appointment.
- To interview the candidate shortlisted by the Director of Social Services and, if appropriate, confirm an appointment to the post concerned.
- To delegate appointment details, as appropriate, to the Director of Social Services in consultation with the Leader and Cabinet Member for Housing and Social Care and Health.
Reasons for the Recommendations
- To ensure that the appointment to the post proceeds in accordance with the requirements of the Council's Constitution.
- As 1 above.
- The Senior Management Appointment Committee met on 14th February, 2017 and approved the arrangements to fill the position of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding within the Social Services Directorate.
- Members will recall that the former established post of Head of Business Management and Innovation is currently filled on an acting-up basis and that it is due to conclude in March 2017.
- The post was subsequently re-designated as Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding, approved by Cabinet on the 6th February. There were no significant changes to the duties and responsibilities or to the grade associated to the re-designated post.
- For the information, consideration and approval of Members the agreed Job Description and Person Specification in respect of the post of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding are attached at Appendix A and Appendix B of this report.
Relevant Issues and Options
- In accordance with the instructions of the Committee, the post of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding was advertised internally in the Council with a closing date for receipt of applications by 4pm on 28th February, 2017.
- The recruitment campaign attracted one internal application. The application meets the requirements of the agreed Person Specification. Accordingly, the applicant has been shortlisted and will proceed to attend for a technical interview with the Director of Social Services and the Head of Human Resources. This will take place on Monday, 6th March, 2017.
- On conclusion of the above process and if the candidate is successful at the technical interview stage of the selection process, the candidate will then attend for a final interview by the Senior Management Appointment Committee on 9th March, 2017.
- It is proposed that, at the meeting of the Committee, Members receive feedback on the technical interview process from the Director of Social Services. It is further proposed that Members also receive a presentation and interview the short listed applicant and that they then determine if the internal candidate is suitable for appointment to the post.
- A copy of the application form in respect of the shortlisted candidate will be sent to Members under separate confidential cover and in advance of the meeting. A list of the suggested questions will be circulated for consideration and determination by Members at the meeting of the Committee.
- Members are requested to bring the application form to the meeting of this Committee to assist the selection process. Interviews will be conducted under "Part II" provisions of Access to Information legislation.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- Appointment to the above post will be on terms and conditions as prescribed by the Joint Negotiating Committee for Chief Officers of Local Authorities and on the current Head of Service salary range of between £66,785 and £74,207.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- The recruitment arrangements to the posts set out in this report are congruent with the requirements of the Council's Constitution and the requirements of The Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- The selection process for this post is congruent with the equality principles set out in the Council's recruitment and selection policies and procedures.
- The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure the provision of effective senior management arrangements in the Directorate and in the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The issues as set out within this report are delegated to the Senior Management Appointment Committee in accordance with the Council's Constitution.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- The Leader and relevant Cabinet Member have been consulted on this report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
- Healthy Living and Social Care
Adrian Unsworth, Operational Manager - Human Resources, Tel: 01446 709359
Rob Thomas, Managing Director
Reuben Bergman, Head of Human Resources
Phil Evans, Director of Social Services