Matter which the Chairman has decided is urgent by reason to expedite the recruitment process to ensure capacity in leadership of the Learning and Skills Directorate
Agenda Item No 6(i)
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 9 March 2017
Report of the Director Learning and Skills
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Head of Strategy, Community Learning and Resources
Purpose of the Report
- To set out the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Head of Strategy, Community Learning and Resources.
- To approve the recruitment and selection arrangements and all the relevant documentation as appended to this report and as circulated at the meeting of the Committee.
- To delegate authority for finalising the content of the recruitment advertisement and placement in appropriate publications to the Director of Learning and Skills in consultation with Cabinet Member of Regeneration and Education and the Head of Human Resources.
Reasons for the Recommendations
- To ensure the appointment is progressed in accordance with the requirements of the Council's constitution.
- To ensure the timescales for progressing the recruitment process are met
- The promotion of Paula Ham to Director of Learning and Skills has resulted in the vacancy for Head of Strategy, Community Learning and Resources. This appointment is necessary in order to ensure leadership capacity in the operation of the Directorate.
- The Learning and Skills Directorate has an ambitious programme of work in hand and is required to deliver effective support to Vale Schools. The Directorate has a wide range of statutory duties and its primary role is to work in collaboration with key stakeholders to develop effective, confident and independent learners who enjoy a sense of personal well-being, enabling them to share their learning with others and to contribute to their community and society. The appointment of this post is essential to support the aims of the Directorate and the statutory obligations of the Council.
- It is now, therefore, necessary to commence the recruitment process and progress arrangements for the permanent appointment to the post in accordance with the Council's normal recruitment and selection procedures.
Relevant Issues and Options
- On the basis of the above it is proposed to advertise the post (both internal and external) during week commencing the 13 March with a view to concluding final interviews during week commencing 24 April 2017.
- A copy of the proposed job description and person specification is attached for the information of the Committee (at Appendix A and B respectively).
- In order to expedite recruitment, the Committee are requested to delegate responsibility for agreeing adverts and recruitment schedule to the Director of Learning and Skills in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Education and the Head of Human Resources.
- The Head of Human Resources will undertake an exercise to identify an appropriate organisation to undertake assessment centre/psychometric testing ensuring best value for money.
- If these delegations are agreed, the Senior Management Appointments Committee will be asked to confirm long listing arrangements at their meeting on 30 March and shortlisting arrangements on 5 April and with a view to conducting final interviews on 27 April 2017.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
- It is requested that approval for costs associated with the recruitment exercise is delegated to the Director of Learning & Skills in consultation with the Head of Human Resources.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- The recruitment campaign and recruitment selection process will be progressed in accordance with the Council's Welsh Language Standards provisions.
- To contribute to the service plans and objectives of the Directorate.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The final decision of the Senior Management Appointments Committee will be referred for information to Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- The relevant Scrutiny Committee Learning and Culture has been consulted.
Sue Alderman - Tel: 01446 709870.
R Bergman, Head of Human Resources - Tel 01 446 709357
P Ham, Director of Learning and Skills - Tel 01 446 709161