Agenda Item No. 3
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 16 March 2017
Report of the Director of Environment and Housing
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the position of Head of Housing and Building Services
Purpose of the Report
- To provide an update on the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Head of Housing and Building Services and to ask the Committee to confirm a long list of candidates for preliminary assessment and officer interviews.
- To note the information presented within the report and to confirm a long list of candidates for preliminary assessment, and technical interviews by officers.
Reason for the Recommendation
- To ensure the appointment proceeds in accordance with the Council's Constitution.
- The Senior Management Appointment Committee approved the recruitment process for the post of Head of Housing and Building Services on the 14th February 2017.
- An advert was placed in Inside Housing, Western Mail and internal in the Council with a closing date of Sunday, 12th March 2017.
- In addition AWD, which is a candidate sourcing organisation, were engaged to directly approach potential applicants.
- A copy of the agreed Job Description and the relevant Person Specification are attached at Appendix A and B of the report.
Relevant Issues and Options
- As the closing date is Sunday 12th March it is not possible to at this time to confirm the number of applications received or their suitability for long-listing.
- All applications received by the closing date will be provided to Members at the meeting on the 16th March 2017 for consideration.
- A summary of all the applicants will also be tabled at the meeting together with a verbal update on the long-listing proposals will be provided by Officers under the "Part II" provisions of Access to Information legislation.
- Those applicants selected for further consideration will then be invited to attend an interview with officers on the 21st March followed by an assessment centre on 27th March 2017. The assessment centre will be supported by an external provider.
- The assessment process will help determine a final shortlist for recommendation to Members at a further meeting of the Committee on the 30th March and then final interview on the 5th April. However dependant on numbers, Members may wish to also conduct the final interviews on the 30th March 2017.
- Members will be provided with a breakdown of the media responses at the meeting on the 16th March 2017.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- The vacancy is a consequence of the resignation of the previous post holder.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- There are not sustainability or climate change implications as a result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- There are no direct legal implications resulting from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications resulting from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- The recruitment process will reflect best equal opportunities practice.
- The successful appointment to the position of Head of Housing and Building Services will have a major impact on the delivery of Council's corporate and directorate service objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The final appointment decision of the Senior Management Appointment Committee will be circulated for information to all Elected Members of the Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- The recognised Trade Unions have been consulted on these proposals.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Miles Punter - 02920 673101
Rob Thomas - Managing Director
Miles Punter - Director of Environment and Housing