Agenda Item No 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 27th April 2017
Report of the Director of Social Services
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Head of Adult Services/ Locality Manager
Purpose of the Report
- To set out the proposed selection and recruitment arrangements for the position of Head of Adult Services/ Locality Manager in the Directorate of Social Services, this being a joint appointment with the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board (UHB)
- To approve the initial selection and recruitment arrangements for the vacant post of Head of Adult Services/Locality Manager, Directorate of Social Services.
- That the Director of Social Services be requested to undertake the initial long-listing arrangements for the post concerned, in consultation with UHB partners, for this committee for endorsement.
- That the Joint Advisory Group, to be established, which will comprise of representation from both the Council and the UHB, will undertake final shortlisting, conducting final interviews and appointment.
- Consider and approve the membership of the Joint Advisory Group following preliminary discussions by the Director of Social Services with colleagues from the UHB.
- Recommendations 2 to 4 above are taken into account when committees are reappointed, and their terms of reference considered at the Annual Meeting on 24th May.
Reasons for the Recommendations
- To ensure that the selection, recruitment and appointment arrangements for the position of Head of Adult Services/ Locality Manager are progressed.
- To progress the recruitment arrangements
- To establish manageable joint arrangements for recruitment to the post.
- To ensure manageable joint arrangements for recruitment to the post.
- To take account of any relevant approval(s) required of this joint arrangement.
- Members will be aware that the post of Head of Adult Services and Locality Manager will become vacant as from the 1st June following the appointment of the current post holder to the position of Director of Social Services.
- On the basis of the above it is now important that arrangements are put in place as quickly as possible for a further joint appointment to the post.
- The continuing importance of the role was underlined as part of the review of the Social Services management structure as approved by Cabinet on 6 February 2017.
- The salary will be £67,453 -£74,950 plus a supplement of £9,853.
- The role will continue to retain responsibility for substantial revenue budgets along with significant community health activities, and be a member of the Social Services Directorate Management Team.
Relevant Issues and Options
- Members are asked to consider the following:-
a/ Joint Advisory Group
- Given the joint nature of the appointment it is necessary for a Joint Advisory Group to be established for the final short-listing and interview process for the post. It is proposed that the need to establish a Joint Advisory Group is considered with UHB colleagues during the course of the next two weeks and if necessary any relevant issues be taken into account by Full Council when committees are re-appointed, and terms of reference considered at the Annual Meeting on 24th May 2017.
- Members may wish to consider, in advance this Council's representation on such a Group. On the last occasion when this arose, the membership from the Council included the relevant Cabinet Lead, two other Members of the Senior Management Appointments Committee and the Director of Social Services.
b/ Job Description and Person Specification
- The job description and person specification for the role has recently been updated following discussions with UHB colleagues and are attached at Appendix A and B. These may require further minor revision to ensure compliance with the UHB's Agenda for Change Framework.
- It is proposed that the job is advertised in Community Care Online, Wales Online, internally to other local authorities and health boards ensuring it is available to potential candidates from both social care and health settings. A copy of the proposed advert is attached at Appendix C.
d/ Initial Long-listing
- Following receipt of applications, it is proposed that an initial long listing of suitable candidates is identified by the end of May 2017 by the Director of Social and representatives from the UHB as appropriate. This responsibility falls within the Committee's own terms of reference and, as such will require endorsement by the Committee and the matter taken into account when by Council, if necessary, when the committees are re-appointed and their terms of reference considered at the Annual Meeting in May 2017.
e/ Assessment Centre
- The selected candidate(s) will be invited to attend technical interviews and an assessment centre in June 2017.
f/ Final interviews and selection recommendation
- It is proposed that the Joint Advisory Group meet to finalise and interview all short-listed candidates and make a recommendation for appointment. It is envisaged that this will be undertaken during mid-June subject to the availability of representatives from both partner agencies.
- The final decision will then require ratification by the Council's own Senior Management Appointment Committee.
- The appointment may be made within either the Council or the UHB. This will be determined in liaison with the successful candidate.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- The costs of recruitment, selection, the salary and associated costs of the post will be met jointly by the Council and the UHB, based upon a 50% / 50% apportionment.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- There are no direct legal implications arising from this report. Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- The proposed advertisement , recruitment and selection proposals set out in this report will be managed in accordance with the Council's Recruitment and Selection Policy, Avoiding Redundancy provisions and within the requirements of The Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
- The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure the provision of effective senior management arrangements in the Directorate and in the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The issues within this report are delegated to the Senior Management Appointment Committee in accordance with the Council's Constitution. The appointment of Committees and their terms of reference are a matter for Full Council
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- Set out in the relevant report to Cabinet on 6th February 2017.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
- Healthy Living & Social Care
Cabinet Report of the 6th February 2017.
Lance Carver, Head of Adult Services/ Locality Manager
Head of Human Resources
Operational Manager (Democratic Services)
Operational Manager (Legal Services)
Lance Carver, Head of Adult Services/ Locality Manager