Agenda Item No 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 19th July 2017
Report of the Director of Social Services
Appointment, Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding
Purpose of the Report
- To set out the arrangements to approve the recruitment and selection of the position of Head of Resource Management and Safeguarding in the Directorate of Social Services.
To approve the recruitment and selection arrangements for the vacant post of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding, Directorate of Social Services.
Reason for the Recommendation
To ensure that the appointment, recruitment and selection arrangements for the position of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding are progressed in accordance with the approval of the Committee and in accordance with the requirements of the Council's Constitution.
- Members will be aware that the current post holder has recently been appointed to the post of Head of Adult Services and Locality Manager and will take up this position from the 1st August 2017.
- The rationale for the restructuring arrangements and the purpose and remit of the re-designated Head of Service position along with the revised Organisation Service Structure were set out in the Cabinet report of the 6th February 2017. The grade, the terms and conditions along with the duties and responsibilities of the post will remain the same.
- The role will continue to retain responsibility for substantial revenue budgets which are frequently under pressure, along with significant commissioning activities and be a member of the Social Services Directorate Management Team.
- The recommendations as set out in this report will realise the decision of the Cabinet to commence and conclude the recruitment process for the established post of Head of Resources Management and Safeguarding in a timely manner.
- The role was previously advertised internally only in February this year.
Relevant Issues and Options
- On the basis of the above it is proposed to advertise the post concurrently internally on the Councils Website and externally in Community Care and Wales on line, Linked in and the Job Centre in early September 2017.
- A Copy of the Job Description and Person Specification are attached in appendix A and appendix B. A copy of the advert will be tabled on the day
Following receipt of applications, it is proposed that an initial short list of suitable candidates are identified in mid-September by the Director of Social Services in consultation with a representative from Human Resources and the relevant Cabinet member having regard to the proposed Job Description and Person Specification for the post. Following short listing, the selected candidate(s) will be invited to attend technical interviews in early October.
- On conclusion of the above technical selection process, suitable applicant(s) will be identified and will be invited to attend for interview by the Senior Management Appointment Committee. It is proposed that, at the meeting of the Committee, members receive a presentation and interview the final short listed applicant(s) and that Members then determine if there is a suitable internal candidate for appointment to the vacant post.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- The resource implications are set out in full within the relevant report to Cabinet on the 6th February 2017.
- For the information of members, the proposed Job Description and Person Specification were previously supplied to the Hay group who confirmed that the duties and responsibilities fall within the Council's published Head of Service grade/salary provisions. Given the only substantive change is to the designation attached to the post, there will be no change to the exiting Head of Service grade for the vacant position.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- The recruitment arrangements to the posts set out in this report are congruent with the requirements of the Council's Constitution and the requirements of The Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- The proposed internal advertisement , recruitment and selection proposals set out in this report will be managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed Recruitment and Selection Policy, Avoiding Redundancy provisions and within the requirements of The Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
- The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure the provision of effective senior management arrangements in the Directorate and in the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The issues within this report are delegated to the Senior Management Appointment Committee in accordance with the Council's Constitution.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- Set out in the relevant report to Cabinet on 6th February 2017.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
- Healthy Living & Social Care
Cabinet Report of the 6th February 2017.
Lance Carver - Director of Social Services
Lance Carver, Director of Social Services