Agenda Item No. 6
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
ANNUAL MEETING: 11TH MAY, 2016
REPORT OF THE MANAGING DIRECTOR
EXECUTIVE ARRANGEMENTS – CABINET MEMBERSHIP AND PORTFOLIOS AND PAYMENT OF SENIOR SALARIES
Part 4(A) of the Constitution - “Council Procedure Rules” - provides that the Annual Meeting will be told by the Leader of the names of councillors he/she has chosen to be Deputy Leader and members of the Cabinet.
Article 7 of the Constitution - “The Executive” - provides that “The Executive will consist of the Executive Leader together with at least two, but not more than nine, councillors appointed to The Executive by the Executive Leader”.
Under the provisions of the 2016/17 Annual Report of the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales, the Vale of Glamorgan Council is able to pay up to a maximum of 18 Senior Salaries to Members in those positions agreed by the Council to receive such. The figure of 18 does not include Civic Salaries able to be paid to a Mayor and Deputy Mayor.
Including Cabinet Members, it is proposed that the Council pay a total of 14 Senior Salaries, together with Civic Salaries to the Mayor and Deputy Mayor, as set out below:
- Cabinet Members - 5
- Group Leaders (in respect of Groups comprising 10% or more of the total membership of the Council) - 2
- Scrutiny Committee Chairmen - 5
- Chairman of Planning Committee
- Chairman of Licensing Committee
- Deputy Mayor.
Full details of the relevant payments, together with basic allowances for all Members, will be incorporated within the Council's Constitution.
The Leader has confirmed that, as part of their portfolios, Cabinet Members will continue to be designated as the Council’s “Champions” with regard to the areas indicated below:
Anti-Poverty Champion – Leader
Armed Forces’ Champion – Councillor A.G. Powell
Biodiversity Champion – Cabinet Member for Visible, Leisure and Regulatory Services
Carers’ Champion – Cabinet Member for Housing and Social Care and Health
Diversity Champion – Leader
Equalities Champion – Leader
Older People’s Champion – Councillor S.C. Egan
Safeguarding Champion – Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Education
Superfast Broadband Champion – Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Education
Domestic Violence Champion - Cabinet Member for Housing and Social Care and Health.
It is recommended that the role of the following Champions continue to be undertaken by the position holder indicated:
Scrutiny Champion – Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen Group
Member Development Champion – Chairman of the Democratic Services Committee
(1) T H A T the Leader inform the Council of the names of Councillors chosen to be Deputy Leader and Members of the Cabinet, together with details of their portfolios and, where appropriate, designation as “Champions”.
(2) T H A T the Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen Group and Chairman of the Democratic Services Committee continue to be designated the Council’s Scrutiny and Member Development Champions respectively.
(3) T H A T the Council's payments of Senior Salaries for 2016/17 be as set out above.
Part 4(A) and Article 7 of the Constitution.
2016/17 Report of the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales.
Jeff Wyatt, Tel: 01446 709408
Operational Manager - Democratic Services
Rob Thomas, Managing Director