Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
AUDIT COMMITTEE: 26 NOVEMBER 2013
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 7 OCTOBER 2013
C2040 AUDITOR GENERAL FOR WALES: IMPROVEMENT ASSESSMENT LETTER SEPTEMBER 2013 (MD) (SCRUTINY – CORPORATE RESOURCES) –
Members were advised of the results of the assessment by the Auditor General for Wales in relation to whether the Council had discharged its statutory duties in respect of improvement planning.
The Auditor General for Wales had a duty under the Local Government (Wales) Measure (2009) to report his conclusions on whether the council had acted on its duty to achieve continuous improvement.
The Auditor General's letter as attached at Appendix 1 to the report found that:
- The Council had discharged its improvement planning duties under the Measure, setting Improvement Objectives for 2013-14.
- The content of the Improvement Plan incorporated the majority of elements included in the Welsh Government guidance.
- The Council was likely to comply with the requirement to make arrangements to secure continuous improvement during this financial year.
- The arrangements in place to manage the changes in school improvement services were still in the process of development, and the Council could not be confident that the Joint Education Service represents value for money for the Council.
- The Council continued to enhance and improve its performance reporting arrangements.
- Some elected members had participated in the scrutiny learning exchange project.
No further proposals for improvement were made. Those contained within the letter were identified in the report on the Joint Education Service.
Audit and inspection fees for the Council totalled £277,757 plus VAT for the 2013/14 period.
At the Meeting the Leader highlighted that no further proposals for improvement were made by the Auditor General for Wales and this showed that the Council was making positive improvements.
He also commented that Cabinet wanted to congratulate those involved in making the Auditor General’s letter a successful one.
This was a matter for Executive decision.
(1) T H A T the contents of the report be noted.
(2) T H A T the report be referred to the Audit Committee for information.
(3) T H A T a further report be brought back to Cabinet on the issues raised in Appendix 1 to the Appendix of the report titled Review of the Governance arrangements of the Joint Education Service proposals for improvement June 2013’’.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To note the contents of the report.
(2) To provide for scrutiny and review of the Auditor General's letter.
(3) To receive a further report regarding the ’Review of the Governance arrangements of the Joint Education Service proposals for improvement June 2013’’.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 7 OCTOBER 2013