Agenda Item No 7
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Audit Committee 26th November 2013
Report of the Managing Director
Update on the Regulatory Programme for Performance Audit 2013-14
Purpose of the Report
1. To present to Members an update on the Regulatory Programme which is produced by the Wales Audit Office.
That Audit Committee:
Note the update on the Regulatory Programme for Performance Audit 2013-14.
Reason for the Recommendation
In order to review and progress the Regulatory Programme.
2. The Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 and the Local Government Act 1999 requires the Auditor General to carry out an annual Improvement Assessment to determine whether the Vale of Glamorgan is likely to comply with the requirements of Part 1 of the measure. This involves
- a review of the Council's arrangements to secure continuous improvement;
- improvement studies of areas which may hinder improvement or transformation or give rise to inefficiencies;
- bespoke pieces of work related to the Council's improvement objectives and arrangements; and
- an audit of the Council's published improvement plans and its self assessment of performance.
3. The Regulatory Programme outlines work to be undertaken in the Council between April 2013 and March 2014 by and on behalf of the Auditor General under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 and Parts 2 and 3A of the Public Audit (Wales) Act 2004.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. A copy of the Regulatory Programme update is attached at Appendix 1.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. The implementation of the Regulatory Programme requires considerable staff resources. The recommendations of audit and inspection can also place burdens on both financial and staff resources. In common with all other local authorities, the Council will be considering some challenging options for future service delivery given current and likely future settlements.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. None directly from this Regulatory Programme.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. The Council has a duty to improve under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 and the Local Government Act 1999.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. None directly from this Regulatory Programme.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. None directly from this Regulatory Programme.
10. Service improvement has clear links to the Council's role in community leadership as outlined in the Corporate Plan 2013/2017
Policy Framework and Budget
11. The proposals in this report are in accordance with the policy framework and budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. None at this stage.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Corporate Resources
Vale of Glamorgan Regulatory Programme for Performance Audit 2013-14
Alan Jenkins, Head of Accountancy and Resource Management.
Corporate Management Team
Head of Accountancy and Resource Management
OM for Corporate Policy and Communications
Sian Davies, Managing Director