Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet 17 September 2012
Report of the Leader
Improvement Plan 2012/13
Purpose of the Report
1. To present the final draft of the Improvement Plan 2012/13, which contains performance and improvement information for all directorates and Corporate Plan priorities.
1. That Cabinet endorses the Improvement Plan for 2012/13;
2. That Cabinet authorises the Managing Director in consultation with the Leader to finalise the plan;
3. That the final plan be referred to Council for endorsement.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. to ensure that actions are taken to improve services;
2. to agree the plan for external audit within required timescales;
3. to agree the plan for external audit within required timescales.
2. The Council published its previous Improvement Plan, as required by the Local Government Act 1999, in October 2011. The Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 introduced a statutory duty requiring local authorities to achieve continuous improvement.
3. The Plan looks back at performance in 2011/12 financial year. Most of the information contained within the Plan is based on the Corporate Plan and departmental service plans which were discussed by Scrutiny Committees from January - March. The Measure requires local authorities to set improvement objectives and these were agreed by Cabinet for 2012/13 on 18 April 2012.
4. The Plan has been subject to scrutiny by all committees in September 2012.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. The plan attached at appendix 1 incorporates performance information (data and text) for 2011/12. This performance information will be used by the Wales Audit Office to assess the Council’s ability to improve and so it is of critical importance to the reputation of the Council.
6. The plan is virtually completed, although some performance information is subject to change by the Local Government Data Unit. Final proofreading and pagination must also be completed.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
7. The costs of producing the Plan and publishing a bilingual summary (as required by the Measure) in October are met through existing budgets. The Plan and summary are published on-line and a small number of summary documents are available for members of the public in local libraries. No hard copies of the Plan itself are now produced, unless requested.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
8. There are numerous improvement objectives listed in the improvement Plan that contribute to ensuring a strong, healthy and just society; achieving a sustainable economy; living within environmental limits; and promoting good governance.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
9. The Improvement Plan is a statutory duty under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009.
Crime and Disorder Implications
10. The Plan includes improvement actions and targets with respect to the community safety and youth offending functions.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. The Plan provides a statement of the Council’s proposed actions in relation to equalities objectives. The summary document provides members of the public with an opportunity to become aware of the Council’s performance and will be produced bilingually.
12. The plan contains information on all the improvement objectives outlined in the Improvement Plan (part 1) 2012/13.
Policy Framework and Budget
13. The Improvement Plan forms a part of the Policy Framework and there is a requirement for it to be endorsed by Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
14. All scrutiny committees have been consulted.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009
Reforming the Wales Programme for Improvement - Guidance to Local Authorities 2010
Corporate Plan 2010/2014
Vale of Glamorgan Community Strategy 2011 - 2021
Beverly Noon, Tel: 01446 709746
All relevant officers have been consulted on the contents of this report:
Heads of Service
Sian Davies, Managing Director