Agenda Item No
Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet 17th September 2012
Report of the Leader
Outcome Agreement 2010-2013 - End of Year Report for 2011/12
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise members of progress made in achieving the Outcome Agreement that was negotiated with the Welsh Government (WG) in 2010.
1. That the report on achievement of the Outcome Agreement with the Welsh Government be endorsed.
2. That the report be forwarded to the Minister for Local Government for assessment.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To advise Cabinet of the extent to which the outcomes listed in the Agreement have been achieved.
2. In order for WG to release the performance incentive grant.
2. The council entered into three previous agreements with the Welsh Assembly Government (Policy Agreements in 2001-04 and 2004-07 and an Improvement Agreement in 2008-2010). These agreements were based on the premise that the council and WG share common objectives and that agreements could be entered into to assist in achieving these objectives. WG paid a grant to the council to incentivise achievement of targets, to the value of £1.2 million annually. The current Outcome Agreement was signed in February 2011, for the period 2010 - 2013.
3. An incentive grant is paid on a sliding scale based on the extent to which actions and measures have been achieved. The Council must be able to evidence collaboration in order to secure 100% of the grant. Evidence of progress must be provided annually for each activity/measure.
4. The agreement sets out actions and performance targets for three years. A report on the actions and measures for 2010-11 achieved 100% of the incentive grant (£1.2 million).
Relevant Issues and Options
5. The attached report at appendix 1 provides details of achievement of actions and performance measures, along with a summary of achievement of the outcomes. A number of performance targets and actions (shaded in grey) were not achieved.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. If successful in achieving our targets, the council could expect to receive £1.2 million. The grant is entirely unhypothecated and is paid into the general funds of the council.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are a number of targets and actions that will contribute to: ensuring a strong, healthy and just society; achieving a sustainable economy; living within environmental limits; and promoting good governance.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. Improvement agreements have no basis in statute. They are voluntary in nature and there are no sanctions relating to non-achievement of targets, apart from the loss of financial incentive.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no activities/indicators in the agreement that relate to crime and disorder.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no activities/indicators contained in the proposed agreement that relate to improving equalities outcomes.
11. The agreement links to the council’s community leadership objective and assists in focusing the council’s activities on national objectives. The council and WG jointly negotiate the targets contained within the agreement.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. The Outcome Agreement is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. Senior officers of the council responsible for the achievement of targets and actions, along with the Corporate Management Team, have been consulted on the content of the report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources
Prospectus for Outcome Agreements, Welsh Assembly Government.
Beverly Noon, Operational Manager - Corporate Policy and Communications
Tel: 01446 709746 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .uk
Head of Performance and Improvement
Officers listed as responsible officers within the agreement
Sian Davies, Managing Director