Agenda Item No
Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet 1 October 2012
Report of the Leader
Outcome Agreement 2010-2013 - Proposed Revisions for 2012/13
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise members of proposals to amend the Outcome Agreement that was negotiated with the Welsh Government (WG) in 2010.
1. That members agree the proposed changes to the Agreement.
2. That the report be forwarded to the Minister for Local Government for negotiation on the proposed changes.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. In order to take into account changes in the ability of the council to achieve the targets.
2. In order for the proposals to be adopted.
2. The council entered into three previous agreements with the Welsh Assembly Government (Policy Agreements in 2001-04 and 2004-07 and an Improvement Agreement in 2008-2010). These agreements were based on the premise that the council and WG share common objectives and that agreements could be entered into to assist in achieving these objectives. WG paid a grant to the council to incentivise achievement of targets, to the value of £1.2 million annually. The current Outcome Agreement was signed in February 2011, for the period 2010 - 2013 and revised slightly in August 2011.
3. An incentive grant is paid on a sliding scale based on the extent to which actions and measures have been achieved, and the Council must be able to evidence collaboration in order to secure 100% of the grant. Evidence must be provided annually for each activity/measure to show progress to receive the incentive grant.
4. The agreement sets out actions and performance targets for three years. A report on the actions and measures for 2010-11 achieved 100% of the incentive grant (£1.2 million).
5. At its meeting on 17 September 2012, Cabinet received a report on achievement of the agreement for 2011/12. We await confirmation from the Welsh Government on the payment for 2011/12.
Relevant Issues and Options
6. The attached report at appendix 1 provides details of proposals to amend actions and performance measures, along with comments as to why the proposals have been made. As we are now in the third year of a three year agreement, and as circumstances have changed since it was drafted in 2010, it is timely to propose some amendments to targets and actions.
7. There is no guarantee that the Welsh Government will accept the proposed changes.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
8. If successful in achieving our targets, the council could expect to receive £1.2 million. The grant is entirely unhypothecated and is paid into the general funds of the council.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
9. There are a number of targets and actions that will contribute to: ensuring a strong, healthy and just society; achieving a sustainable economy; living within environmental limits; and promoting good governance.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
10. Improvement agreements have no basis in statute. They are therefore voluntary in nature and there are no sanctions relating to non-achievement of targets, apart from the loss of financial incentive.
Crime and Disorder Implications
11. There are no activities/indicators in the agreement that relate to crime and disorder.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
12. There are no activities/indicators contained in the proposed agreement that relate to improving equalities outcomes.
13. The agreement links to the council’s objective of community leadership, and assists in focusing the council’s activities on national objectives. The council and WG jointly negotiate the targets contained within the agreement.
Policy Framework and Budget
14. The Outcome Agreement is a matter of Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
15. Senior officers of the council responsible for the achievement of targets and actions, along with the Corporate Management Team, have been consulted on the content of the report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
16. Corporate Resources
Prospectus for Outcome Agreements, Welsh Assembly Government.
Beverly Noon, Operational Manager - Corporate Policy and Communications
Tel: 01446 709746 Email: email@example.com .uk
Head of Performance and Improvement
Officers listed as responsible officers within the agreement
Responsible Officer: Sian Davies, Managing Director