Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 1ST OCTOBER, 2012
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CORPORATE RESOURCES): 11TH SEPTEMBER, 2012
“ STAFF SURVEY 2012 ACTION PLAN (MD) -
The draft Action Plan was appended to the report and designed to address issues revealed by the recent employee survey. The Staff Survey 2011/12 Results Summary was also appended to the report. The key issues that had arisen from the survey included:
· insufficient access in certain areas of the Council to sufficient information to enable staff to carry out their roles effectively
· the need to ensure consistency across the organisation regarding staff opinion on the learning and development opportunities available to them
· the need to ensure consistency across the organisation regarding staff experiences of the PDR / TDR process
· the view of a large minority who felt they were not adequately consulted about changes in the organisation
· the view of a significant minority that they did not feel they received recognition for doing good work.
Attention was drawn to the results summary as appended to the report and particular reference made to the consistently poor response in relation to “staff consulted about changes to work”. The Operational Manager (Corporate Policy and Communications) informed Members that training courses were being arranged for managers in relation to managing change successfully, commenting further that the holding of team meetings was the obvious way to engage in positive dialogue with staff. She indicated that Chief Officers received annual appraisals and that staff also undertook PDRs / TDRs on an annual basis. Attention was also draw to the particularly positive responses in respect of Social Services across the board. Members thanked management and staff within Social Services and, indeed, recognised the contribution of all members of staff who had engaged in the process. As regards the action plan which was also appended to the report, the Operational Manager stated that all the currently blank columns would be completed within the next 3 months, and that she would submit a progress report to this Committee prior to the end of the year.
(1) T H A T the Action Plan as appended to the report to address the issues revealed by the recent employee survey be endorsed and the Plan referred to Cabinet for consideration.
(2) T H A T the actions contained within the Plan be incorporated into and monitored in line with existing departmental Service Plans.
(3) T H A T the Operational Manager (Corporate Policy and Communications) submit a progress report prior to the end of 2012.
Reasons for recommendations
(1&2) To ensure that appropriate action is taken in response to the views of Council staff.
(3) To inform Members.”
Attached as Appendix – Report to Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 11th September, 2012