Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 15TH OCTOBER, 2012
REFERENCE FROM LICENSING COMMITTEE: 3RD SEPTEMBER, 2012
“ GAMBLING ACT 2005 STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES (DS) –
Committee was requested to endorse the revised Gambling Act 2005 Statement of Principles for consultation purposes.
The Gambling Act 2005 placed a duty on the Council to develop a Statement of Principles that promoted the three licensing objectives:
· preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime
· ensuring that gambling was conducted in a fair and open way
· protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited.
The draft Statement of Principles would be subject to extensive consultation with members of the trade, responsible authorities, current licence holders and elected Members. It would also be available on the Council’s website in both English and Welsh. A copy of the amendments to the Statement of Principles was attached to the report at Appendix B.
The Statement of Principles would take effect on 31st January 2013. The Statement must be published, be available at Council buildings and notices placed in a local paper four weeks in advance of the effective date, which was 3rd January 2013.
(1) T H A T the Gambling Act 2005 Statement of Principles, attached at Appendix A to the report, be endorsed for consultation.
(2) T H A T the Gambling Act 2005 Statement of Principles be referred to Cabinet and Scrutiny Committee (Housing and Public Protection) for information.
(3) T H A T the Licensing Committee be provided with feedback from the consultation prior to the Statement of Principles being recommended to Council for approval.
Reasons for decisions
(1-3) To ensure a comprehensive and workable Statement of Principles is in place and to ensure that the Vale of Glamorgan Council complies with the requirements of the Gambling Act 2005.”
Attached as Appendix – Report to Licensing Committee: 3rd September, 2012